puppets pt. 2 | bucky barnes

Pairing: Bucky x Reader

Relationship: Doctor and patient(?)/Friendship/Subtle Romance

Word Count: 1,109

Type: Sad-ish?

Warnings: A bit depressing

➳ ➳ ➳ ➳ ➳ ➳ ➳

The hallway was crawling with agents - both S.H.I.E.L.D. and HYDRA - but [Y/N] couldn't care less. She weaved through the crowd with ease, panting for she ran like her life depended on it to reach this location. Once she reached her destination, she slid to a halt and stared in absolute horror.

There laid Nick Fury, half dead, in the operating room as the doctors and nurses frantically tried to save him from dying. Standing in the room with her was Natasha Romanoff and Steve Rogers, otherwise known as Black Widow and Captain America. Maria Hill, Fury's second-in-command, was not far behind.

[Y/N] knew this was the work of the Winter Soldier. Her father talked about getting rid of Fury for so long now, she was genuinely shocked that he didn't kill Fury before the man assembled the Avengers.

Even though she knew it was coming, it didn't ease the aching pain in her chest. Fury was a man she respected, a man she cared about deeply. Being a Level 9 S.H.I.E.L.D. agent, she worked closely with him on several occasions and saw him as a father, a real father.

The heart monitor suddenly stopped beeping and the line grew flat. [Y/N]'s mouth went dry as tears threatened to spill from her eyes, but she held it back. She refused to show any sign of weakness.

Unable to watch anymore, she exited the room in a hurry, her mind clouded. She wanted to march into her poor excuse of a father's office and tear it apart bit by bit. She was furious, and not just at him but at HYDRA and everything that horrid organisation stood for and finally, she was angry at herself.

She was part of HYDRA. She kept the Winter Soldier alive, she brought him out, she worked and killed for them. She had just as much blame as everyone else.

A hand gripped her arm tightly, almost making her wince but she bit the noise back. She spun around and came face to face with Brock Rumlow.

"What?" She hissed, displeased by his appearance.

"What are you doing here princess?" He demanded quietly, threateningly. She scowled at the ridiculous nickname he called her.

"Isn't it obvious? Director Nick Fury just died and you're asking me why I'm here?" She responded, shaking him off of her. He took a step closer to her and glared at her warningly.

"Careful there princess, your father wouldn't want to hear about this would he?" Rumlow smirked, "I suggest you go to that nice little castle of yours and await further orders."

[Y/N] wanted to wipe that smirk off his face, but she stopped herself. If she killed one of HYDRA's best agents, not only will she be punished by her father... Again... But she'll also be arrested for hurting a fellow S.H.I.E.L.D. agent... Even though he was nothing but a dirty traitor.

Huffing, she spun around and marched out the door, never daring to look back.

➳ ➳ ➳ ➳ ➳ ➳ ➳

Silence engulfed [Y/N] as she sat there, waiting for the door to open to reveal her father and preparing herself for the menacing words her father was going to throw at her.

As if on cue, the door opened and slammed shut with a loud bang that echoed through the silent house. She flinched slightly at the noise, but regained her composure when her father's figure came into view.

He stared at her for a full minute before finally beginning his attack.

"What were you thinking?" He demanded, "What in gods name were you thinking?!"

"I-"

"I sent you to the lab to take care of the soldier but you go to the hospital instead." He growled, pointing an accusing finger at her, "do you realise the danger you put us under?! If the soldier isn't in top conditions he could be captured, and that will jeopardize this whole operation!"

"... I apologise for my carelessness." [Y/N] whispered, lowering her head.

"I've told you, over and over again." Alexander growled, slamming his hands on the table in front of her, "your loyalty doesn't lie with S.H.I.E.L.D., or Fury, or HYDRA, your loyalty lies with me."

"I understand sir."

"Do you?" He questioned, raising an eyebrow.

"I do." She confirmed.

"... Good."

➳ ➳ ➳ ➳ ➳ ➳ ➳

[Y/N] watched the Winter Soldier as he prepared for his next mission; assassinating Steve and Natasha. She knew how dangerous this mission was for him, his targets were two deadly people who had quite a reputation. As much as she cared about the safety of Steve and Natasha, she was also equally, if not more worried about her soldier.

"Be careful out there." She said quietly, squeezing his arm.

He glanced at her briefly, his cold eyes boring into her own. She thought he'll ignore her and continue loading his guns, but instead he responded to her.

"I'll be fine."

Surprised by his response, she smiled and said, "You always tell me that."

He grunted, somewhat unsatisfied by her reaction. He returned to loading his guns.

"I know... I know you're strong but..." She maneuvered herself so she was standing right in front of him. She brought her hand up to his cheek and turned his face so he was looking at her worried [E/C] eyes. "Your new targets are very dangerous people as individuals. God knows what they can do together... I don't want you to get hurt."

The soldier seemed puzzled by her affections towards him, for his eyes displayed nothing but confusion. It pained her to see him like this; to be unloved for so long he's forgotten what love was like, what love felt like.

"I have no choice." He stated, his jaws tightening, "you know that."

[Y/N] nodded, looking down. "I'm not telling you to run... I'm telling you to be careful." She lifted her head once more, "please, promise me you'll be careful."

"I... I promise." He muttered hesitantly.

"Good." She smiled once more, and before she could stop herself, she leaned forward and placed a kiss on his cheek.

His enchanting, azure eyes showed no hint of difference, though the confusion in them increased. The pain in her chest only heightened seeing how lost he was. He was a broken man, who walked down a lonely, twisted road with no one to stand next to him and guide him back home.

"Stay safe... And come back to me, okay?" She whispered, holding his hands, both real and metal. This action sparked a response from him, for his eyes drifted down to her hands, and both his hands slowly enclosed around hers.

"I will." He claimed, his voice firmer than she had ever heard it.