Chapter 35 - That's What You Get (For Being Polite)

I went to my dressing room frustrated.  I asked to be alone.  The only person I shared it with was Jennifer and she was still out mingling and taking photos I guess. 

I was sitting in a chair, in front of my mirror, holding my head up.  It wasn't too long after I heard a knock on my door.  I didn't say anything; I just looked towards it and waited for whomever to come in.

It was him.

I had absolutely no expression on my face.  I was still pissed off.  "Hi," I said quickly, staring at him.

"Hi, Button."

"Are you done talking to Lissy?"

He closed the door behind him.  I guess he could hear the frustration in my tone.  "I'm sorry about all of that."  He walked closer to me.

"What the hell is wrong with you?"  I was becoming vociferous now.

"I'm sorry," he stopped and just placed his hands behind his back.

I stood up from my chair to face him but then I stepped back to look at him straightforward.  "There's obviously a problem between you two."  I started using my hands for clarification.  "Right-now-was-not-the-time."

His eyebrows shot up.

"You have so many guests here who came to see you and you completely ignored them and gave them none of your attention because you were too busy arguing in the corner with your ex-girlfriend! And..."

As I continued my rant, he smiled and shook his head from side to side.  "She's not my ex-girlfriend," he said talking over me.

"...I'm standing there like an idiot-"

He started laughing.  And I did not find anything funny. 

"What the hell are you laughing at, Michael?"

"I'm sorry.  You're just so cute when you're upset like this."

I just stared at him, not knowing what to say because more frustration was building up inside of me.  He just couldn't take this seriously.

"I think it's your accent."

"My accent?  You still think it's charming, eh?"

He covered his mouth as he giggled.  "I do.  But when you're angry like this, it makes you sound so adorable."

I rolled my eyes.  "So she's not one of your many ex-girlfriends?"

"No, we were best friends.  We grew up together in this industry.  But I haven't seen her since 1985, I think...and I was freaking out because..."  He looked around, thinking twice if he should say whatever he was about to spill.

"What?"

"Promise you won't get upset?" 

I nodded my head.  I was already upset.

"Last night, I had a dream about her.  I rarely do but it wasn't the first time.  It was the first time in a while though.  I always considered reaching out to her but never could bring myself to do it.  But last night, I dreamt that we met up and talked about everything and rekindled our friendship.   When I woke up, I couldn't stop thinking about it, like I'd usually react to dreaming about her.  It was bothering me all morning, so I told myself, 'Michael, if you see Lissy today, or if someone even mentions her to you, then you have to call her and tell her how you feel.'  I thought this was a way for me to easily make a deal with myself so I could stop thinking about her.  I knew it wouldn't actually happen though.  I haven't seen her in like three years.  And soon after, like always, I forgot all about her.  But then tonight, she actually appeared.  She was right there in my face, after I made that little bet with myself.  Button, I haven't seen her in three years...please tell me you understand how scary that was for me?"