38: Until I Can

*Saturday*

Jayla

28 days...

..28 long days since I've been kept on locked down. I've been strapped down for 28 days. I fight the urge to cry everyday, I'm stronger than that. Half the time I'm so doped up I can't tell whether I'm coming or going. The room was dim or maybe it's just my imagination. I've been imagining a lot lately. Like how I want my life to be once I'm freed from this place. My blurred vision makes out a figure wearing all white. Is it an angel? Am I dying?

"Hey Jayla.." The angel shook me but I refused to let her take me now. "It's Nurse Jeanna." My heart slows down. Thank God. "It's time to wake up. Your family is downstairs." I roll my head over and look at her. "Yeah are you excited to see them? They're excited to see you." She freed my hands and feet. I'm able to sit up. My feet finally touches the floor. She hands me some slippers and helps me up. "Come on...it's this way." After she pulls me into this large room, I spot out my family resting at one of the tables.

"Jayla!" My mother yells. She wraps her arms around me and I use most of the strength that I had to hug her back. "Awww I miss you sweetheart." Kiss. kiss. kiss. My dad walks up behind her. I see the guilt in his eyes. Barely.

"Princess. Come here." I reluctantly embrace him but he grips my fragile body so tight I didn't have a choice. "How do you feel?" He pulls me back and examines my exterior.

I try and find the words I was looking for in my head. "I-I feel fine." I say groggy. "Can I go home?" They all look at each other. "What?" Victoria stands.

"Sissy, you have to be here a little longer." I fix my eyes on her.

"Why am I even here?" They all look each other once again. "What the hell is goin' on?" I get tired of them throwing silent signals with their eyes.

"Let's sit down." My mother suggests. Before I can make a decision, I'm snatched into a seat like some child. "Well sweety-something happened...umm." She hesitated. And my dad finishes for her.

"Somehow your name came up-and some finger prints- when it came to a kidnapping investigation-" My stomach churns. "And-"

"Kidnapping?" I exchange looks with everybody at the table. And once again they all share this secret signal.

"-Mia Roberts." Now my stomach forms all kinds of knots and my lungs feel like they are being squeezed dry. "Now your father got the precinct to agree to keep investigating so they can clear your name but right now you're the only suspect and-" My dad cuts her off.

"And I got the judge to agree to put you here instead of-jail." I furrow my eyebrows.

"...So you put me in a nut house?" They don't respond. "Well I mean I guess so-I've been for almost a month." I answer my own question, leaning back in my chair. "When can I be release?"

"Jay- We aren't in any hurry to let them relea-"

I jump up and slam my hands on the table, "Of course you're not! You not the one here everyday being stuck with needles and strapped up to a bed!" Large men in white move from their post and walks toward me.

"It's alright, gentlemen." My dad waves them to return. "Princess sit down." He demands softly but I refuse. "Princess." He says through gritted teeth. I follow his order. "Now listen to me. It's hard enough having you here alright." He leans in and lowers his voice. "I'm the Governor of this state...having you in prison for kidnapping-which is a felony-can ruin my reputation. Having you here in mental containment is also risky but this is a better choice." I squint.

"It's always about your fuckin' rep, ain't it?" I fold my arms.

"Jay!" My mother yells. "Watch your mouth. Your father did you a favor! Having a prison record isn't attractive."

"Having a mental record isn't either." I mumble. We all remain silent. "So what now? What's gone happen? I'm going back to that narrow ass room that I'm suppose to call home and be strapped down like some animal?" I fold my hands.

"If you behave like the sane person we know that you are, you'll be out of here in no time." She tries to calm the situation.

"I don't have a choice. They sedate me every chance they get. I haven't been woke in days..." A pitying look slams on my mother's face. "Yeah does that sound attractive?" I roll my eyes.

"You'll be out of here soon....very soon." She stares hard at me and I glance at everyone else and they stared too. I stared back trying to read them but before I had a chance to, I was pulled out of my chair by gaurds. "Be good." She blows me a kiss and my blood heats up.

"Let me go!" I squirm around. "How can you let me stay here!? What the hell!?" I bit one of the guards arm and he released me. I run back over to the table before they had a chance to leave. "YOU BOTH ARE PATHETIC! I HATE YOU! I HATE ALL OF YOU!" Something sharp entered my neck and my vision blurred. "I haatee-hate y-you." I couldn't feel my tongue anymore.

"Take care of her. Until I can." My daddy's voice echoes above me. I try and fight the dose they just injected me with, but I am slowly losing.

"I'm not crazy." I mumbled over again. "I'm not crazy." My words continue to slur. "I'm not crazy."

"Shhhh Princess." He places two fingers over my eyes and helps me relax. In the next second I drift away.

I was out...