10: College Bound

*Monday*

Bella

I silently beg my heart to slow down it was beating out of control. I looked around nervously at the rooms quietly looking for the English department. I stood in the front of the glass door of the English department finally. I can see the tall professor beginning his lesson and pulled the door open. I sat in the seat furthest to the back.

"Excuse me, Miss? Front please." He demanded and I followed his orders and made my way to the front of the classroom and took a seat. "What's your name?" He straightens his tie.

"Bella Mitchell." I answer calmly.

"Hi, Bella I'm Professor Benner and I take my job very seriously, I come to work everyday on time ready to share my knowledge. I expect all the same from my students-"

"But I wasn't late you was just starting yo lesson." I defend myself.

"Don't interrupt me. If you're not early than you are late, rule number one of this class. I know students like you are so invested in their own little world that education is not apart of. I understand that you probably don't want to be here because you are young and have so much more to life but because you are here I expect the best from all my students even the ones that don't want to be here."

"Sure Professor Benner, continue your lesson." I relax back in my seat and wait for him to proceed. He goes back up to his desk and works on his laptop. He made us take about three pages of notes and we had a discussion session toward the end of the class.

"Alright everybody, I expect more notes from that chapter you guys and be ready for discussion tomorrow." Everybody started packing up and getting ready to leave and so did I. "Excuse me Ms. Mitchell can I see you for a second?" He asks. I got up and walked over to his desk. "How serious are you about school?" He folds his hands under his chin. "Because I'm 32 years old and I've been teaching English for 7 years and I have met a load of students who would rather be doing other things with their lives than to be here learning-"

"But I'm not one of those students. I'm tryna better my life and I'm here so I clearly want the benefits of college." I interrupt him again defending myself.

".....Why are you here...at a community college?" He emphasizes the word community.

"....Because universities are expensive and this college wanted to give me a chance for free." I admit.

"So do you ever want to transfer to a real four year university soon or what?" He was drilling me.

"....I mean getting my stuff here should be enough right? I don't come from no rich family, my mama had to work her ass off everyday to provide for me and my sister and her and my daddy ain't together no more and I got two kids with no help so I just-"

"Stop right there, I don't want to hear your life story because I've met students that have had worst stories than you. All what you said are just excuses to why you don't want to push yourself further to grab your ultimate potential. I don't know you but I can tell that you have that strong drive that will get you far in life. Tell me Bella, what do you want to be?" I start rambling my brain for a second and then clutched on to what I wanted.

"...I'm into clothes and....um I just like anything with fashion or whatever." I tell him.

"....Do you know any fashion designers who went to college?"

"I mean I don't research them but I'm sure some of them went....what you tryna say?" I fold my arms across my chest before grabbing my book bag and throwing it over my shoulder ready to leave.

"I'm not trying to discourage you or anything but the honest to God truth is, this is for people who want an actual job, you know?" He loosens his tie.

"Fuck you Mr. Benner." I storm out the room and stand by the exit while I dramatically fan the tears away from my eyes. I was debating whether or not I would leave when some mid-height, bright skinned girl with dyed blonde hair, and light hazel eyes came in my direction. I hurried trying to fix myself before she got any closer and I pulled my phone out to pretend like I wasn't just standing here in my feelings.

"Hey is you...excuse me I mean, are you Bella?" She cocked a big smile and waited for my response.

"...Uh yeah. Who wants to know?" I turn to fully face her.

"...Me....Asia....I'm with the school uhh, committee, it's only so I could get some extra credit and get the hell out of here, but I'm required to pretty much show you around or whatever."

"...Ain't you a little late? I'm almost half way through my day."

She rolls her eyes and sighs, "Can you just play along so the board could see that I'm trying...please?"

"Sure whatever." I secure my bag on my shoulder and follow her around. "Where are we going?" I asked and she didn't respond so I asked again. "Hello?" I get annoyed and she continues to be silent so I just let it go. We trail around the building for about twenty minutes and my legs and feet began to get tired. "Can we stop for like a minute or some?" I request.

"....Wait. Just come on." She grabs my hand and quickens her pace dragging me along right behind her. She pulls us into a conference room where three other girls was sitting around the table. I snatch my hand from hers and tries to make a run for it but three guys appeared behind me and wrap their arms around my waist and arms. "Hold her!" Asia yells. I wrestle my way free only to be pinned down again by the three big guys. They all carry my over to the table and sit me in one of the chairs. I glare at all of the girls sitting at the table especially Asia.

".....This is Bella...Mitchell. And she should be able to answer our questions." Asia announces to the girls. "....Shawna?" She turns to the tallest girl at the table.

"...Yeah. Good work Asia." "Bella, you was there when Wayne was killed, right?" I furrowed my eyebrows in confusion and tilted my head as I try to see if she was serious. "Do you need me to repeat the question?" She folds her hands.

"....What? Wayne? That was over a year ago, and he wasn't killed he committed suicide." I clear it up for her.

"That's not what I asked. Was you there or not?" She asks again.

"Yes I was."

"....Why were you there?"

"...Why? What is this? Why is y'all just now concerned about his death?" I try and stand up but I am pulled back down by the body guards they had behind me.

"We don't think he killed his self, we think that somebody killed him or planned his death. And it seems that you was the only one there at the time."

I laugh, "So you think I killed Wayne? Yeah I wish I had that honor." I retort and the girls all give me mean glares. "What are all y'all his baby mommas or something?"

"Don't try and be funny because I can have you murdered in less than a minute and get away with it. And I don't think you a want that for your kids, mainly since the father of your daughter is dead, and the father of you son is missing." She counters back. "Now, we don't know what happened to him and it ain't no evidence so if it was you that did it, I gotta commend you on your work in covering yo tracks but I need you to confess now."

"Like I said, I didn't kill him." I roll my eyes.

"...Well you wouldn't mind handling something for us, would you?" She smirks.

"It depends. I don't make plans with the devil." I smartly say.

"Well you will because you don't have a choice. I need you to find.....this girl." She slides a picture across the table to me and I choke on my own tongue when I see the big brown eyes and short curly hair in the picture. "Do you know her?" She catches on to my reaction.

"..Umm no. But why do I have to...find her?" I was worried.

"...We need her, here. She did something that she needs to be punished for and if you don't find her we'll make sure you get punished, we know where you live so don't doubt us." I close my eyes and take in a breath. "Are we clear?"

"Yeah....I got you." I say and grab my bag, standing up from the chair.