Panic

*TV static*
*Taps on camera lens*
*Steve sits in front of camera coming into focus*
*No sound*
*Steve waves at camera*
*mouths something to someone off screen*
*sound cuts in sharply*

"-stuff wasn't around in my day,"

"Steven, your on,"

"Oh! Hi you guys, I just have a quick announcement for this preference. And uh, the author here is helping me film this, because Lord knows I don't know how to use this thing. Uh, say hi Bree,"

*voice behind camera*
"Hi friends,"

"Okay, so for the preference today, not all of the team is going to be here,"

*puts up his hands*

"But! Please don't be mad. They- WE all still love you. But they're all working really hard on the upcoming events!"

*voice behind camera* "Shhhh! Steven! Don't tell them!"

"OH! Sorry sorry! Can you edit that out?"

*voice behind camera*
"No! This is a live stream,"

"Oh...... Well then. You all heard nothing.... Cut to preference! Cut to preference!!"

*voice from behind camera* "Wait wait! One last thing. I have to remind you all again, and hopefully for the last time, to stop... I don't know what to call it. Roll playing? I guess... In the comments. I refuse to call anyone out, but I really need it to stop. Thank you again! Enjoy the preference"

*camera pans away*
*then goes static*
*camera fades back in*
Here we go.....

Preference 38

Steve: Unlocking the door to your apartment you strolled in with smile on your face. Steve should be home tonight, and boy oh boy you were ready for some cuddling!
"Steve, I'm home" you called, hanging your keys on the hook and shedding your coat. No answer. "Steve?"
His keys were hung on the wall right next to yours. Where is he?
You decided that he either locked his keys in the apartment or was sleeping. Neither of which would be surprising.
You removed your shoes and your blouse, tossing the top into the hamper that was currently sitting in the living room.
Now in just your slacks and undershirt, you moved through the apartment with the intention of going to the bathroom to take a quick shower. You opened the bathroom door, to find Steve.
His face fixed in a stern and intense glare. His back arched, and his hands gripping the counter. He didn't even flinch when you opened the door, he just stared at himself in the mirror.
"Steve?" Your voice came out softly.
"It's my fault (y/n)," he said.
"What's your fault? Nothing's your fault, honey" you reached out to place a hand on his shoulder. Suddenly his head snapped around to look at you.
"You don't understand, it's my fault. It's all my fault," he shouted, tears brimming his eyes.
The initial raised voice made you want to shrink back, but the context forced you to stand taller.
"Steve, tell me what's going on," you said in a steady voice.
Without warning he collapsed into tears right there on the bathroom floor.
You sank down to your knees, and scooted closer to him.
In between sobs he managed to get out. "They're gonna kill him (y/n). They're gonna kill him and it's all my fault"
Now you were really concerned. Steve doesn't act this way, and he certainly would never be to blame for someone's death.
"Who are they going to kill, Steve?" You urged gently.
He didn't respond for a moment, he lifted his head and met my gaze
"Bucky"
Your hands found his cheeks, followed by your lips.
"They're not going to kill him," you whispered. "We're going to save him, remember?" But your words were lost on him.
"No. I lost him once, I can't do it again. Not again (y/n)" he slumped forward into your waiting arms.
"Baby, you're not going to lose him. We're gonna find him, and bring him home with us. We're gonna take care of him, and show the world that there is nothing to be afraid of,"
Steve nodded numbly as you began rocking him in your arms. You kissed the top of his head, and whispered "It was never your fault,"