Chapter 8

I looked over at the people by the register, who were watching me suspiciously. I turned away again, looking at the things on the shelf. I saw another customer come up, talking to the man. While the worker was distracted, I grabbed one of the little plants and ripped the pricetag sticker off the bottom. I put the little baby cactus under my jacket and walked out of the store to my car, driving off towards the hospital.

My mom has always loved cacti, we used to have a lot of them at our house. She has always thought they were really cool, and plus they were really easy to take care of. Maybe they just remind her of Arizona, which is where she used to live as a child.

"Hello, mamma," I greeted when I walked into her room.

"Hi, Frankie," my mom replied, giving me a weak smile.

"I got you something," I said.

I pulled out the little cactus and her eyes lit up as she smiled.

"Awe, thank you," she said.

I handed it to her and she kissed my cheek. I sat down into the chair beside her bed, hearing the beeping of the heart monitor. I leaned back, looking at the chart on the wall to see which nurse was currently on duty. It was Sarah, which I was glad about because she's one of the nice ones. My mom put the baby cactus onto the little table beside her.

"Anything new?" I asked.

She solemnly shook her head and I frowned. My mom reached over, holding onto my hand and giving it a gentle squeeze.

"We really need to talk about me after I--"

"Nope," I interrupted, shaking my head.

Her thumb rubbed over the back of my hand softly.

"Frankie, I love you," my mom said.

"I love you too, mamma," I replied.

She leaned over, kissing my forehead gently with her chapped lips.

"How's everything going for you? School good? And new friends? Maybe anyone new you're dating?" She questioned with a sly smile.

I chuckled, shaking my head. "No one in my life but you."

She gave me a wide smile, giving my hand a gentle squeeze with her own bony one. I leaned over, kissing her cheek. The two of us talked some more, mostly reminiscing about the past. My phone rang and I answered the unknown number.

"Hello?" I asked and my mom looked at me in question.

"Have you seen the time?" I heard Mr. Way ask.

I rolled my eyes. "Oh I'm fine, thanks for asking."

"Just get your punk ass down here," he said.

He hung up and I sighed.

"Who was that?" My mom asked in curiosity.

"That was Donald Way," I replied.

She raised her non-existent eyebrows.

"Why would Donald Way be calling you?" My mom asked.

"I've just been doing some work for him," I said. "Nothing big really."

My mom nodded, giving me another smile. I stood up, kissing her cheek. I headed out he door, waving bye to the nurse that had been walking into the room. Sarah smiled at me, moving to talk to my mom.

I walked out of the hospital, going to my car. Traffic filled the road and I groaned, leaning back in my seat, turning up the radio and lighting a cigarette as I was stuck in gridlock.