Chapter 29

Two days later and I went to the free clinic. Gee said he would meet me here too. And he did, just not in the way I would have hoped. When he walked in, beside him was his very angry father. Mr. Way talked to the person at the desk while Gee sat next to me.

"Gee, why'd you bring him?" I asked quietly.

"I'm only sixteen, I need an adult," Gee said.

"Gee, if you're sixteen then you don't need an adult for STD checks," I said.

"I-I'm sorry, daddy, I didn't know," he whispered, his lip quivering.

"It's okay, babydoll, you didn't know," I reassured, kissing his forehead.

His dad came over and grabbed Gee by his arm, pulling him to his feet. They sat in chairs on the other side of the lobby and I frowned. Gee looked slightly nervous as he glanced at me. I tried to give him a reassuring smile but he still looked just as anxious. They called me back once they were ready. It didn't take long as they took my blood, putting a piece of gauze over it wrapping my arm at the elbow.

I walked out into the lobby and I saw Gee glance at my arm. He seemed to realize exactly how you get tested for STDs and he started to panic. I know he has a fear of needles and this must be terrifying for him. He got up to leave but his dad held onto him. Gee's eyes started to tear up as he shook his head.

"No, I don't wanna," Gee said.

"You have to," Mr. Way stated.

Gee shook his head and one of the nurses stepped out.

"Gerard Way?" She asked.

Mr. Way pulled Gee back into the room with lots of protest from the smaller boy. I waited for them to finish in the lobby, hearing yells and Gee crying. A few moments later and Mr. Way came into the lobby with a frustrated look on his face.

"I don't like you and you don't like me," he started, "But we both know Gee has to be checked, so do you think you can help to try and calm him down or something?"

I nodded, following him back into the room. Two nurses were trying to hold Gee down and calm him while another one held the needle. Gee saw me and got out of their grip and held me into a tight hug.

"Th-they're trying to hurt me with needles!" Gee cried.

I stroked his hair, kissing the top of his head. "They aren't hurting you, baby, they need to do this to make sure you're healthy."

"Can't they do it other ways?" He asked.

"Jamia's got syphilis, baby," I replied. "It's either this or with spinal fluid."

Gee shuddered and shook his head. "I'm okay, I'm nice and healthy."

"And they're just going to make sure of that," I said.

He tried to pull away and leave but I held him tight. I pulled him over to the big chair with him sitting in my lap, his back to me. The nurse grabbed his left wrist to hold his arm down. I kept my arms around him, holding onto his right hand as he cried dramatically.

"Well, I guess this will have to do," one of the nurses said.

They wrapped the rubber around his upper arm and he cried harder. The lady wiped his arm with the little wet towel. Gee flinched and cried harder, his grip on my hand so tight I thought I might actually have bruises.

"It hurts, i-it hurts," Gee sobbed.

"They haven't done anything yet, honey," I said with a small chuckled.

Gee glanced at the needle connected to the tube as the nurse came closer. He fought against the grips we had on him and shook his head.

"Hey, hey, princess," I whispered. "Just look at me, okay? Look at me, babydoll."