3

VAER

CONVERSATION WITH MY MOTHER

"Don't be sad, dear."

My mother advised me while combing my long bluish black hair with a brush made of stone. On that occasion, I was sitting on the edge of my bed. After I put on my nightgown that hid even my ankles. Feeling almost ready to rest and try to wake up the next day with the molecular test out of my mind. That moment was terrible for me.

I felt a vampire unable to take her own steps and say all I really wanted to.

All around me offered me danger. I could not even take a walk through the forest, or feed in the CITY OF THE PRE-VAMPIRES under my own ability. Or saying better 'ALONE'.

Always I went there, I should be in my father's company, or my mother's or my grandmother's or even the vampire Enzo's, but never helpless.

"Your molecular test cannot make you unhappy because of the result."

"But it can make me weaker than any creature of my kind."

A tear of blue blood rolled down my eye and fell on the ground.

"See, Mother, even my tear is different from yours or my father's tear, or from my grandfather's tear." I paused. "You can cry real blood, but I cannot. I feel so different and excluded from this family of vampires."

"Enzo also does not cry tears of blood."

My mother informed, and I ended up shrugging.

I didn't care about Enzo at that moment.

I was not speaking of his tears. I was pondering about my earrings-of-princess. Exposing my damned weakness.

"I never saw Enzo crying. So I unaware of his tears."

I affirmed with a bit of rebellion.

Valkyrie continued brushing my hair with enthusiasm while admiring me by the back. Taking into consideration I was her daughter and looked so much like her. Even the rebellious way of seeing my own purposes as a very young vampire. Even without knowing many strategic things about life.

"But I have seen him cry several times."

She confessed almost smiling.

"Enzo ever cried for several reasons. When you were born it was one of them."

My voice sounded ironic, as I crossed my arms over my chest and my legs removed my feet from the frozen ground. I needed now a more commodious position.

"How cool! I remember perfectly that day!"

I rolled my eyes, imagining that I was just a baby for twelve years ago and did not know anything. I not even knew there were tears.

"You talk just like your father that way."

"I'm his daughter and something I have to resemble my father. Since I cannot be an exact copy of him."

"Wow! Vær, today you are very bitter, daughter!"

I looked to the side and stared at the face of my mother and she looked at mine with a vast silence.

A neon blue tear went down from my other eye again.

"Please Mother, try to comprehend my situation. Yesterday I was an almost perfect vampire. But this molecular test today turned me into a poor thing! I feel a shattered vampire! Unable to take a step toward my bedroom window and see everything through it."

I shook my head and wiped my tear with the palm of my hand.

"That Test made me an unproductive vampire. Providing I don't be useful not even to be called a princess of Blue Blood!"

My mother hugged me and closed her eyes against my shoulder.

My words had cut her mother's heart.

"Do not talk that way, dear! Your suffering is mine."

She reminded of my human grandmother, which I could not know.

"Now I understand my mother and the why she always said me 'mother's love was so immense. "

A tear of blood pointed in the face of my mother. She was suffering along with me. But I made her open her eyes and look at me in the face. Thus, I ended up wiping her tears with benevolence and calm.

"I'm sorry, mother."

She kept staring at me with her suffered eyes.

"I don't want to see you suffer because of me. This is my life. This suffering is mine and belongs only to me. Please, do not shed these tears because of me."

But my mother shook her head and looked down, informing me.

"I cannot Vær ... That's stronger than me."

Her hand touched docilely one side of my face and she looked at me as if she was watching me for the last time in her life.

"When you're a mother, you will know what I'm talking about."

Then she removed her hand from my face and held my hands rested on my lap.

"A Mother always absorbs the suffering of her child. Even if she does not want to do that."

I looked down and saw our hands interlaced together. As a knot almost loosening.

"Have you ever regretted having become a mother? And have had a daughter so unable like me?"

"Never, Daughter. She answered quickly and kissed my forehead." Before I thought my complete happiness was abbreviated only in the love I felt for your father, but after your birth, I saw a child just adds and fortify even more that love. And you fortified the love Eros and I feel for each other. And without you in our lives, this love would be corrupted."

My mother shrugged and remembered something that tormented her at certain occasions.

"In spite of that after you were born, the discussions between Eros and I have increased because of you. Because sometimes you do things I disagree or else your father diverges and we both do not always agree with certain things that happen to you."

I hugged her tightly.

"Mom, I don't want you and Dad to argue always because of me."

I stared into her eyes. They were so gray.

"Do you promise me that? You will not argue anymore with Dad for me?"

She shook her head gently.

"I cannot promise you that, Vær. The promise of a vampire must always prevail. And sometimes your father and I also discussed for jealousy ..."

She shut up and then blushed.

"Jealousy, Mother?" I was amazed. "But why? In this place, there are no other vampires to threaten the love of you two."

"We discussed for jealousy of things that can happen in the future. If some day I or he, need to return to Earth."

"Planet Earth?"

My brow furrowed.

"What is there?"

"Humans."

"Humans?" I made another face, not understanding anything "What are humans?"

My mother delayed saying. She looked very confused.

"Human are people like us, but very different from our species. Your father, your grandfather, Enzo and I were all humans in the past before we became definitely vampires."

She paused with a barely audible sigh.

"We carry human DNA in our bodies, but you do not, dear."

She touched a side of my face with her hand's cold palm and smiled admiringly at me. Because I existed and were a vampire of origin. Fruit of love between her and my father.

"You are a vampire from the cradle."