12

VAER

CONVERSATION WITH THE KING OF THE VAMPIRES

Even if I tried, but I could not untie myself from the idea of living on the planet Earth for some time. And to have the opportunity to meet humans and maybe fall in love for real. In fact, I needed to have that in my life. Because everything I had at hand could no longer make me so happy, like the time I was a little girl and saw I having the life I had that season, it was just enough for me to stay in the same place without trying to seek alternatives, new dreams and a taste of freedom which I would feel only if I could live on another planet that was not Neptune.

Through this, I tried to resolve this situation and I went to look for the master of the vampires. I wanted to have a serious conversation with him. From granddaughter to grandfather. Maybe he could comprehend my situation and grant my wish, so going over the will of my parents.

"Grandpa, can we talk for a second?"

Vincent turned around and looked at me while he was holding a silver cup. Before he answered, the master of the vampires made a smooth face what I figured out in my way. My grandfather seemed to avoid our dialogue because he knew what would be the main topic during it.

"Vaer, if this issue is about your petition, forget it!" He pronounced and then drank a little more from his drink.

I looked at his wine cape, hiding part of his body. My mind wanted to be like it and dominate the thought of my grandfather as well as that mantle dominated a great part of his body.

"Please, Grandpa, you need to listen to me!"

Soon I lamented, walking ahead and approaching to him. My grandfather was much taller than me and because of this; he looked me from the highest part of me with his narrowed eyes.

"It's all right."

Finally, he declared and searched to sit in one of the individual armchairs in the living room. Logical, taking with him his cup between his long fingers.

After that, I did the same and sat on a seat in a position opposite to his chair.

A brief silence came over us and soon after I started talking with my fragile voice and somewhat appealing.

"I know your decision about my petition, but Grandpa, I need that you put yourself in my place and concede it to me."

I looked to the side.

"I know perfectly that I'm a fragile vampire and I have no power to protect myself from every danger ..." I raised my head and looked at him."But it's not fair that you try to keep me confined here as if I were unable to do anything."

Vincent kept watching me with his serious face. He did strike of his smile. On that occasion, my gaze fell down and I looked at my long dress skirt, at the moment I wanted to continue with my speech.

"Grandpa, I need to have this experience in my life! I need to meet creatures different from us. I need to feel stronger, even knowing I'm so fragile and weak like a cockroach."

The King of the vampires looked down, seemed to feel sorry for me. I always knew he always wished I could be from the red-blooded category instead of blue blood. But that was already defined and there was nothing anyone could do to change it.

"Vaer ..." He started saying, after raising his gray eyes, looking toward my seat and seeing a young vampire in a luxurious dress in rosy color."You're still a very young vampire, you have not lived long enough to get maturity and make judicious choices."

I kept looking at his grandfather's face and master of the vampires.

"On the other hand, I comprehend your stupid dreams. Because your mother when she was your age, she was just like you. Valkyrie was very stubborn and often never heard me when she repeatedly was determinate to fight for your father's love."

He sighed, not because he seemed tired of his narrative, but for some motive that tormented him inside.

"But my granddaughter, in your case, this is very different. Your mother, at the epoch, always had many vampire powers and even so I always worried about her." He stared at me with fear; his alarmed gaze could not deny it. "But, you do not have any power, Vær."

There was a break in his voice.

"You're as unprotected as much as the humans on Earth."

His eyes grew larger as he looked around, trying to describe what his mind was imagining.

"The humans are not charitable with our species."

He shook his head.

"I don't need the charity of the humans, grandpa."

I shot back stubbornly. Vincent stared at me with a thump.

"You don't know what you say, dear."

"But I know perfectly what I want.

We stared at each other for some time in silence. But the master of the vampires removed his gaze from my image first and just ended up staring at the cup between his pale fingers. It was no longer so filled up. If that red liquid could have an audition, it would be taking part in our conversation and maybe judging me as a creature without judgment.

"Okay."

He whispered. My eyes shone and I almost jumped for joy in my seat.

"Will you allow me to go to planet Earth?"

"Not yet."

My posture lost energy on the other side of his seat. I came back to feel sad again. Imagining that every conversation with my grandfather had been in vain and I had not even the talent to try to persuade him with my words.

I ended up descending my eyes and staring at the floor. That's all what was left me to do after a failed conversation and filled with denials against my request.

My only request.

Vincent took the opportunity and looked at my image in front of him, sitting so sadly in my seat. He sighed while feeling guilty for my momentary unhappiness. He had always been a great grandfather to me and had always agreed with virtually everything I did or asked from him and my parents.

But why not at that moment?

I was just asking to live a short time on Earth, and not for the rest of my life.

Was it that too much to ask?

Suddenly my grandfather rose from his seat and walked to one side, trying to get away from me and my sadness. He needed to ponder and longed to do it alone. Without my presence.