10

VAER

MY FATHER'S GIFT

"Where's my little girl who has just ended up becoming an adult?"

I looked to the side and saw my father coming through the door of my room and keeping his arms back. He seemed to hide something from me. The vampire Eros always did that when he wanted to approach me with some surprise. Although I continued motionless, sitting on my stone bed and watching him approach me. I realized that my father and Enzo looked like each other so physically. It seemed that Enzo was his firstborn. I knew they had a degree of kinship since Enzo was the great-grandson of Enric, the only human brother of my father.

After walking a few meters in my bedroom, my father stopped in front of my bed and sat down beside me, and still keeping secret what he carried in his hands since he got there.

"I brought your birthday gift. Yesterday, I forgot to deliver it."

Justifying it, he pulled his hands from his back and raised them up in front of me. I looked down and saw a tiara with dark jewels between his palms. It glowed with acumen and was as beautiful as the feeling that my father carried for me, just for me being his daughter and sole heir.

"A new tiara, Dad?"

I was fascinated by the design of it and I felt so enchanted by this magnificent jewel. My benefactor always did that and gave me a diamond tiara on every one of my birthdays.

"Yes. A pre-vampire jeweler manufactured it especially for you. At my request, of course."

He approached me even more and put the tiara on top of my head. My hair was loose and my tiara with dark precious stones suited my moss green dress very well. There were some dark details in them, the embroideries, the laces, and the ribbon ties.

Finally, I ended up hugging him tightly. As I was feeling eternally grateful for him to exist and I being proud to call him father or Dad...

"Thanks, Dad."

He allowed himself to be embraced by me and after a few seconds, his hands began to stroke my hair on my back.

"Daughter, your mother, your grandfather and I love you very much. And we want you to forget the idea of wanting to live away from us, away from this castle, even if only for a short period of time."

At that instant, he ceased to embrace me and stared me in the face, remembering that I was the most precious jewel of his life and no diamond would steal my place in his heart. No one.

"You are very fragile, dear."

He gave a pause in his speech.

"I'm sorry you have no vampire power. But we cannot change that. Your vampire hierarchy is an exception in our family. So you cannot give yourself the luxury of thinking that you can do everything and will never hurt."

I descended my eyes. Sadness had stolen my animation to be at my father's side and have just received one of his special gifts. But, I realized that his hand began to smooth out my crestfallen face, by the time he confessed.

"I swear daughter if there was a way I could change it if I could transfer all my vampire powers to you ..." He stared me in the face and spoke with a soft voice. "I would do it ... with no regrets ..."

I ended up hugging him again, knowing that my father really loved me. He and my mother loved me in a way I did not know which of them loved me more. Not even a thermometer could measure their love for me.

"Vaer, I would never forgive myself if something terrible happened to you on planet Earth."

We continued embraced and I looked in the direction of my bedroom window and saw the curtain swaying gently with the wind strength that came from out of it.

"And what should I do with my dream, Dad? My fantasy of living a time on planet Earth?"

He responded prudently, still clinging to me.

"Guard it with you."

He kissed my shoulder while I was still entirely comfortable in his arms.

"The humans do not have much to offer us, in addition to fresh blood ..."

He paused, looking away with his gray eyes.

"I think you'd better live with this dream locked inside you than you get lost in it ..."

His words made sense. Maybe my destruction was assured with the consolidation of this reverie.

qcWìԛх