5

ENZO

RIDE IN THE HEIGHTS

"As promised, I will take you to walk with me on high."

Vær looked back in the direction of my voice and saw me standing a little behind her. My long dark wings were open behind my back and I smiled at my friend, reinforcing, even more, my friendly invitation.

She bit her lip and smiled too, so turning to the side to try to face me without compromising the nerves of her neck.

"Finally, you remembered me."

She put her hands on her waistline as if she was charging me some debt.

"I am dying to know how it is like to travel through the wings of an angel vampire."

Vaer smiled again and walked toward me, imagining she was ready for the supposed ride on high.

"Sometimes I'm envious of your wings and would like to have wings identical to yours."

My head inclined to one side while one of my eyebrows arched in a purposeful way. I had never said that Vær, but sometimes I felt sorry for her. Because she was a vampire princess and had no power of vampires. She was an abnormal vampire.

Completely different from all our species.

"You do not need to be jealous of my wings, because whenever you need them, I'll always be around to share them with you."

My invisible power pulled a small stone from the ground, held it in the palm of my right hand and started playing with it. Throwing it up and catching it soon after. Sometimes my supernatural look accompanied the animation of the small stone.

Vær paid attention to all my movements and got silent for some time. She missed it, missed powers and many tricks that the vampires could do except her.

At last, the princess remembered all this and ended up crouching on the ground, lamenting her deficiency inherited from the cradle.

"I feel like an invalid that way." She confessed, looking at the ground covered by snow. "I cannot do anything. In addition to observing everything you, my father, my mother and grandfather can do."

I wept in silence her comment embittered by her suffering. Vær stood up and walked in my direction. The extremities of her long wine dress touched the snow and the soles of her dark boots left soft marks on the white snow.

The Neptune's Princess stood before me and looked me in the face. Her debilitated look contested something.

"Enzo, do you think I'm not good for anything? Even I do not have the powers that you have? Be honest with me."

I shook my head. I thought that question was ridiculous. But my answer should be loyal as well as our friendship was, since when Vær grew up and had knowledge about a respectful relationship between two friends.

Quickly I looked at her beautiful face. Her eyes were neon blue because they could never be gray again.

"I think you were born for many things." I touched the tip of my own chin. "I am happy because I have you as a friend."

Vær seemed convinced of it and released a smile, thanking my sincerity and my gratitude regarding our friendship that should perpetuate along the centuries. She seemed to feel happier after those words.

"Thank you, Enzo."

I circled my waist with an unexpected hug.

"I think I feel more useful now after knowing that our friendship is very valuable to you. That way, I can see myself less useless in this planet where the vampires have super powers. Except me."

At the end of the sentence, she released my body and walked to one side, still talking to me.

"If my molecular test had been red, everything would have been different. I would have super powers and would be stronger than everyone here, except my grandfather. He is the master and no vampire in Neptune could be stronger than him.

"But you would not need a guardian."

She lifted her head and stared at my gray eyes.

"Why should I need a guardian?"

She put her hands in waists.

"I do not need a guardian. I need powers, autonomy, and some freedom."

"I think you better try to think differently."I looked away."I do not want to discourage you. But I think these three things go far from you."

"I know that."She looked down. "My parents redoubled the care with me after they knew that I have blue blood."

"Vaer, reflect with me. You have a wonderful father and a magnificent mother. They only wish your well-being. Your grandfather also cares a lot about you, because they love you very much."

She looked at me.

"They also care a lot about you and love you too, Enzo."

"I know that. Eros and Valkyrie raised me. And they are very special to me. Your grandfather also always treated me with great respect and admiration. I would have no better family here on this planet."

"Yeah, of course, here in Neptune there is only this family." Vaer smiled gently. "I'm just kidding. Actually, they know your value and everything you represent in our lives 'angel vampire'."

Vær looked at my wings and remembered something.

"Can we continue our conversation later?" paused, "Because now I want to fly through your wings."

"OK."

I nodded and stood behind her.

"Be prepared to go up the heights, Your Highness."

On that occasion, Vær felt my hands gripping both sides of the line of her thin waist. She panicked for a moment. Her eyes widened as she suddenly felt her feet leaving the ground while her body was raised along with mine. The princess was in front of me and I was behind her, flying with my huge dark wings.

From the top, we could see the roundness of Vincent's Castle. Its towers were huge. The lake of dark waters and the forest of dry trees. Everything was right there, right under our eyes.

Vær was enraptured with so much emotion. Her long bluish black hair flew with the wind speed against our faces. She smiled and closed her eyes at the same time, feeling that those feelings were so perfect and exclusive. The taste of freedom had reached her being, thanks to my huge wings.

Ecstasy made her release a shout on high.

"I'm flying really! Enzo, I can badly believe it!"

By far, Valkyrie and Eros were standing in front of the main room window. Even from a distance, they could see us flying through the gray sky. The clouds seemed melancholy that day. In fact, they seemed to like that every day, through the sky in the Eighth planet.

Valkyrie leaned her head on Eros's shoulder and smiled at us. She was proud to know that her daughter and I had an admirable coexistence.

"Enzo and Vær look so much like both of us! It seems that Enzo came out of my womb and is our son too!"

Eros looked at the face of his wife, thus giving her a look captivated by his wife's love.

"But it's as if he was our son."

"Yeah."

She nodded and looked back at us flying into the sky. Even from a distance, she could hear the excited cries of her daughter.

"I also have that thought."