18

VAER

MY FIRST DAY ON PLANET EARTH

Suddenly the Neptune symbol disappeared from the sky when I looked up and saw the sky back to normal. Since then I looked to the side and remembered that I was standing in the middle of the street. Some cars circled around me. The drivers seemed astonished by my presence in the middle of the highway.

Some of them put their heads out of the window and shouted at me with such rudeness.

"Get out of the street, you crazy!"

I looked scared at them and continued motionless. My eyes were not neon blue and my teeth were not sharp. I had hidden my true vampire traits to try to ensure my safety in a place which I had never been before and I was barely starting to know.

Still not knowing what to do in fact, I held the skirt of my long dress and started to turn around myself, trying to get out of that track that kept traffic with cars in all the styles and colors. The sounds of car horns were annoying to my ears. Thankfully in Neptune, there was nothing of that.

Minutes later, when I managed to run out the track and reach the pedestrian walk, I restrained my heavy breathing in my chest and started to walk in only one direction. Soon after, I discovered a square where there were some homeless people. They warmed up with old blankets and gigantic pieces of cardboard.

Immediately, I approached them and sat on the floor. Since all benches, there were already occupied by some beggars. One of them looked in my image and after in my clean clothes and recognized that I was not one of them.

"You're a real princess?"

One of the men asked me while looking at the tiara shining on top of my head.

"Yes, I am."

I replied innocently.

"But in our country, there is no monarchy. Where are you from, girl?"Where are you from, girl?"

I ended up squeezing my shoulders and reminding that I should hide the truth about my origin. It could be very dangerous, the humans know that I was a real princess and I was the daughter of vampires.

Vampires from Neptune.

"No, I'm not a real princess."

Now I responded oppositely, trying to convince them of my hidden identity. I looked at the beggars and imagined that the humans lived in precarious conditions on the street. Things there had their good sides and their bad sides, their beautiful sides and their horrible sides. It was sorrowful to see that scene and know that the humans lived that way. Without a home and without a bed to sleep in a tranquil sleep.

Then I rose up and ran away from them. I was afraid that they could force me to tell them all the truth about me.

So I tried to find a quieter, safer place and away from people for me to spend the night.

At Dawn, I awoke from my first sleep on the planet Earth. After I had slept under a tree on an abandoned square. In favor of my luck, there was not homeless individual or people who could share the same space with me.

Minutes later, I began to walk along the pedestrian walk and saw many humans walking around it.

First, I saw an old couple trying to traverse the street while one of them sustained on each other. Then I saw a man in suit and tie, holding a black briefcase and going to work. Then I saw a girl walking on the sidewalk with her dog caught by a dog-collar.

Later, I observed a girl at my age. She was walking beside a cute boy. Both were going to school. They passed me and made faces at me as they seemed shocked at my clothes and also the tiara on my head.

Then I heard the boy saying to the girl beside him.

"That Girl is already arranged for the Halloween dance?"

The girl laughed. "The Halloween is still in October."

He laughed too and looked back at me.

"So she must have mistaken the date."

Hearing this, I continued on and stopped in front of a showcase with clothes for women at my age, costumes for human girls. After that, I ended up going through the Store glass door and entering the site that was empty of people and full of attractive dresses.

In fact, I had been a little amazed at so many clothes hanging on plastic hangers and some plaster mannequins looking like real people. Not very long after, a store saleswoman came to receive me. She looked at me from head to toe, made a slight grimace when her eyes stopped at the top of my head and saw my diamond tiara.

It was strange for her to imagine that I could normally walk through the city center with that costume that sounded old-fashioned for its time.

"Do you wish something, miss?"

"Miss?" my forehead wrinkled. "My name is Vær."

The fire-colored haired saleswoman soon gave me a friendly smile. "Vaer? What a different name!"

Her eyes ran again on my image and she ended up scratching the tip of her chin. As she was looking very intrigued by my strange physiognomy in clothes that were already out of fashion for centuries and were designed for members of a royal family?

"Why are you walking around the town in these clothes? Have you come from some fancy dress ball?"

I looked at her innocently.

"I only have these clothes."

"Do you want to buy new and more modern clothes?" asked as she surrounded me with curiosity regarding me and about my purchasing power as a consumer of clothing and accessories.

"Yeah."

"Do you have money to do this?"

"No."

The saleswoman looked at my tiara and raised her hand toward my head. Soon she asked.

"Allow me to look at your tiara with more detail?"

Looking at the jewelry in her hand, the clerk realized that my tiara was legitimate and extremely valuable. The same one was composed of gems that worth a fortune.

Just hours later, I left the store with hundreds of shopping bags. I could barely go through the glass door with many colorful bags suspend from my arms and hands. The saleswoman walked me to the glass passage and gave me a hand wave with much satisfaction. After all, she had never sold an entire store for just one customer. All mannequins were naked and the hangers were pure. That is, I had taken everything with me.

So I left the store with the same dress, boots, and gloves I had left Neptune, but the diamond tiara was no longer in my head.

It had been left with the store saleswoman, as a form of payment.