8

VAER

THE REQUEST

The next day, I woke up with a few dark circles around my eyes. He had slept badly that night. Some facts of my eighteenth birthday were still in my mind and between them the cursed scene which I felt strange before the hypothesis that I could be kissed on the lips for the first time and by the creature that all this time was just my friend, my almost heart brother.

I felt more relieved because the kiss had not happened in fact and I did not carry within me the weight of conscience for having been part of a thoughtless act.

However, everyone was in the dining room, enjoying breakfast with foods compound with raw meats and juices prepared by the pre-vampires.

On this occasion, I pulled a seat, next to my mother and I stayed facing Enzo. He was sitting across the table, beside my father's seat and my grandfather was sitting on the edge of the table, as usual.

"What a miracle, dear! You woke up so early today!"

My mother affirmed, helping me put my food on the plate. She always did that to facilitate my meals. She felt happy to serve her sole heir who had the physiognomy almost identical to her.

"I did not sleep so well last night."

"Why?"

She insisted, still filling my glass with a dark liquid.

"For nothing."

"Vaer, you did not comb your hair!"

She exclaimed, looking in the direction of my face and seeing my head covered with long disordered hair and full of curse knots at the extremities.

I looked at my mother, and I could not hold back my thud air with her critical observation at my face in the morning. Enzo rested the back of his right hand on his lips and hid them, as he remained with his head bent and he did not seem interested in the conversation during our breakfast.

He looked so serious.

"Mother, I forgot and I am also accustomed to you arranging my hair every day."

"Daughter, I think it is time for you do it alone. After all, you already are eighteen, dear."

I kept silent and tasted the dark juice, reminding me of some scenes of my eighteen-year party.

"Uncle Valmont should re-build his heirs! My cousins are insupportable!"

I confessed, rolling my eyes and feeling just annoyed to talk about them.

Everyone looked stunned at me. I stopped my accusations and questioned innocently.

"What's up? Did I say something wrong?"

"Daughter, they are your cousins."

My father contested across the table.

"Yes, they are. But they do not stop implicating on me. They do not tire of reminding me that I have blue blood. I am a weak and useless vampire."

"Don't listen to them."

Enzo advised me, looking at me. I lifted my eyes and looked in his direction as if we had a very serious secret.

Finally, I kept silent for a while and my anger at my cousins made me break the silence again. I ended up insisting on the subject.

"What a good they live on Venus! Far away from us! I could not endure living with my triplet cousins every day of my life!"