30

VAER

DOING SCHOOL WORK

Wendel had agreed with me that we should do our school work in his home. I had agreed with him regarding this possibility. Even more, I could not take him to my house. I had fears that he could end up distrusting everything and especially Enzo. One thing would be to see Enzo from far, being named as my older brother and another would be someone next to him, being so familiar.

A minute after, Wendel opened the front door of his house. It was late afternoon, the sun was losing its shine and my vampire vision looked satisfied for this moment.

When I looked in the direction of the passage, I saw him there, standing, with prescription glasses covering his eyes. He looked a little embarrassed for receiving me in his home so humble. The residence was not very big. It was smaller than the house which I was currently living on planet Earth. But, I was not there to monitor sizes of rooms or pieces of furniture. I was at my school mate's dwelling, just to execute together, our school work that should be delivered next week.

"Please, don't repair my house. It is a bit small."

He said pulling a cushion from the sofa, thus freeing up space on the small couch in a dark color. I still remained standing, holding my books at the time of my chest and looked around; trying to see discreetly the other parts of the house. I was looking for more people besides Wendel. That was the truth.

"Where are your parents?"

He returned to stand erect and gave me a sheepish smile.

"My parents do not live with me."

He showed me the sofa for the second time.

"Please, sit down!"

"Thanks."

Slowly, I sat down, taking the books with me and depositing them in my lap. At that instant, Wendel sat in a chair beside the sofa. We stayed a while in silence and then I remembered me from our school work because that was real motive for what I was here, in his house.

"We can start?" finally, I uttered to him. "I cannot stay long here." affirmed as I recalled Enzo's orders.

"OK."

He agreed with me and was soon seeking his school materials in the next room. His home was a bit disorganized. He did not clean his home recently and so the pieces of furniture were dusty. Thinking that way, I looked up and saw cobwebs on the ceiling of the living room. But, I went back to watch my books as soon as Wendel returned to the site, bringing his books with him.

The young man returned to a comfortable position in the chair. In this minute, he opened his book on this page four and began to explain the work with aplomb. He seemed to be a very smart human.

Finally, I got loose at his explanation and I started to pay attention to the gentle movements of his rosy lips. I began to imagine that those lips were somewhat attractive by an almost unknown one. I hardly knew my classmate and I already felt attracted to him.

However, I shook my head in the middle of his explanation, trying to get rid of this secret desire that made me wish strangely that human.

Wendel noticed my distraction during his speech and also saw me shaking my head without logical reason for it.

"Did something happen?"

He questioned me, looking at me through his glasses with a dark frame.

In a similar way to not clarify the details, I had camouflaged what was really happening to me. Immediately my hand slipped through my forehead and I tried to concentrate on the pages of my book.

"No. Nothing happened." I tried to explain him. "Sorry, but sometimes I get so distracted during the reading or conversation and when I realize, my thinking is very far from my reality."

He smiled, looking according to my explanation.

"I realize that some people tend to have this kind of behavior during the conversation. And this usually occurs with the girls that are accustomed to daydream."

Soon I stared at his face for a moment. Wendel seemed to comprehend me and understand that I had just ended up dreaming about his attractive lips seconds ago.

"Yes ..." I looked down. "I think you're right."

At that instant, I remembered me of Enzo and how many times he affirmed before me that I was very dreamy and had stupid dreams. But raising my eyes after that, I saw Wendel's image sitting in the chair. He was in worn jeans, clear mesh shirt with a picture of a guitar on the front.

"Where is the bathroom?"

He looked in my direction. "Bathroom?" looked surprised with my question so abruptly.

"Yes, the toilet?"

"Oh, yeah." he pointed his forefinger toward the narrow corridor of the house. "It is the first door on your left."

I just lifted me up and smoothing down one side of my dark chess dress skirt. Wendel quickly ran his gaze on my silhouette and saw me like a doll. As I was in that round dress, those seven- eighth socks in the middle of the thighs, long boots and lace gloves on my hands, in addition to a small tiara on my head. It was not from real diamonds because I could not walk with a jewel like this in the middle of the town. That one had been a miniature jewel that I had bought at a fair near the school.

"Excuse me."

At that moment, I walked slowly toward the bathroom door and entered it, locking myself in it with agility. So I stood behind the wooden passage and remained there for a minute.

I had no physiological need to be in the bathroom on that occasion, but I needed to hide within it to try to get time and make an effort to feel myself safer in the house, next to the boy that always confused my mind and took my tranquility.

I still did not know what really was happening to me. But that seemed to be good and frightening at the same time.

A few minutes later, someone knocked on the bathroom wooden door. I took a slight fright and pulled away from it, still watching it, then immediately the voice of Wendel declared on the other side of the locked passage.

"Vaer! Please, open the door for a moment."

I got apprehensive.

Why he wanted me to open the bathroom door even with me in it?

Soon I felt insecure and for a few minutes, I did not know what to do in fact. But I had to show my confidence in him and opened the toilet entrance slowly.

Looking ahead, I saw him standing before me. A modest smile tugged on his lips and he uttered, raising a toilet paper roll.

"I'm sorry. I forgot to put the toilet paper in the bathroom this morning."

I looked stunned at the paper and held it with shyness.

"Thanks."

In a hurry, I pulled the paper through the opening passage and quickly slammed the bathroom door in his face. Wendel frowned at that occasion, thinking my behavior looked totally strange.

~'