Chapter Ten

"(Y/n). You're going to stay with Sans for awhile." Your father told you. It was the day after your mother left and you finally noticed how broken the house actually was. There were shattered vases and fallen plants. Some of the walls had been broken into and the pots and pans were everywhere. It was a huge mess.

"Why?" You asked, finally finding your voice.

"I-I need to fix up the place..." He stuttered and let out a deep sigh. "I...I also lost my job yesterday..."

"You didn't tell me?" You didn't raise your voice...there was no point.

"After what happened, it didn't even cross my mind to tell you. Look, (y/n). I can't make you suffer anymore...so you're going to stay with Sans until I could get myself back onto my feet."

"Okay..."

"Thank you for understanding." He hugged you tightly. "Now pack your stuff. Sans will be here at noon."

Truth was, you didn't understand anything at all.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Everything felt like it was falling apart. Especially that napping feeling that gripped onto your heart. That emptiness...

Sans came to pick you up and currently, the both of you were walking to his place. Now, you both looked ridiculous carrying multiple backpacks and bags but you hardly cared. And thanks to your bruises from two days earlier, Sans was carrying most of the load.

"You don't feel like walking, do you kid?" He asked as sweat started to drip down his face. You shook your head and looked at him, slightly feeling the butterflies flutter within you. "Okay then. Come here, kiddo. I know a shortcut."

"Kay." You muttered as you followed him, still lost in thought. He led you behind a tree and covered your eyes.

"Trust me, kiddo. We'll be there." He said, his voice soothing to your ears. You just shrugged and moved his hand away, to see that you two were, in fact, inside his house. At that moment, all the sadness and guilt that you felt, dosappeared.

"Wait...wow...how-"

He just smiled and dropped all of your bags.

"Magic, kiddo." Sans said and slipped the bag out of your hand, placing it onto the floor. "Now, you feeling okay? Cause I have more of Pap's frozen spaghetti if you need it."

"I'm fine. Thanks for asking." You said with a small smile and sat down on the couch. Glancing at him, he turned away to grab the television remote. You could've sworn you saw a tint of blue on his cheekbones but you quickly pushed it aside as the guilt devoured you again. Why are you even so sad...why is there guilt? You were never close to her...

The television flickered on, revealing the news channel. The woman on there was reporting a 'monster-attack case' which you knew was complete bullshit.

"Hand me the remote." You grumbled, which Sans obediently handed over. You switched the channel, which now was a talk show between a monster and a robot. Relieved you didn't find another news channel, you watched it a bit, trying to forget your thoughts.

"You like this show?" Sans asked as he sat down next to you. You just shrugged and placed down the remote. "Well, that's Mettaton. He's quite popular among the monsters."

"You like him?" You felt those bland words slip out of your mouth.

"Eh, he's not bad. He's just a little close to Pap." Sans grumbled and then turned to the screen.

"So, you actually know him..."

"We're friends... And Frisk is sometimes on these shows too."

"Interesting." You muttered to yourself as you turned to the television. The robot, which you assumed was Mettaton, asked a question.

"Oh, darling! Can you tell the audience anymore about what happened to you?" Mettaton asked, obviously interested into this story that the monster was telling. You soon realized that it was M. K.

"Oh crap...that's M. K." You muttered as you hopped off the couch. One of his eyes was shut tight, still purple from bruising. Yet, he still held a smile.

"Yeah! This human, I forgot her name, but she was sick! She came in and saved me! And then she stepped up to those bad guys! Oh, she was tough too, she got hit once and then was right back on her feet! I was knocked out after that, but without her, I don't know what would've happened!" He said excitedly, wiggling his legs around. You just sat down on the floor in sudden doubt. Someone...talking this highly of me?

"Well, kid. Looks like your gonna get famous." Sans chuckled, only to see that guilt was reaching for you again. He turned the television off, and waddled over to sit down next to you. "Hey, it'll be okay."

"How do you know?" You sputtered. Though no tears were gonna fall, you still felt terribly guilty. Dammit, (y/n). Come on, you're better than this.

"Because you're a strong willed person. You can do better without your mother anyways." Sans said as he gently lifted your hand from the floor. You just shook your head, but allowed him to stroke your hand, feeling the tingling of butterflies within you. "You'll get through this."

"Right..." You frowned and shook your head, trying to push away the light feels for him. "I don't know, Sans. I feel like, because of me, my parents split. And as much as she didn't appreciate me, she still made my dad happy."

You took your hand back and held yourself tightly. Why you opened up to him so easily, you didn't know.

"Hey, kid-"

"And what really bothers me...is how easily I got over it. Like, I hardly even care that my mother left." You bit your lip and turned to the skeleton. "I just feel bad...because I know this hurts my dad. I'm just a selfish human being."

"Kid- (Y/n). If she didn't care for you in the past, then why would there be a relationship to care about? The way she treated you isn't your fault for the way you feel about her now. But the fact that you still feel something after what she's done to you, it means you still care for your dad." Sans said as he looked up at you. He then stood up and held out his hand. "I'm gonna try and get your mind off this."

"How?" You asked as you took his hand. He lifted you up and started towards the door.

"Here's the plan. I'm takin' you to Grillby's and then we go pick up Pap. He wanted to do something either tonight or tomorrow night after I told him what happened to you yesterday." Sans said as he opened the front door.

"What about my bags?"

"Eh, we can deal with that later."

"Okay..." You followed him out, now feeling the feels creep up your spine. You then blinked in sudden confusion. "What day is it by the way?"

"It's Friday. Two weeks and two days until your little FMC meeting."

Shock suddenly hit you. I wasted an entire DAY.

"Sans, I can't waste another day!" You shrieked and started to search through your belongings only to hear a chuckle from Sans.

"I know. That's why we're gonna work over at Grillby's." He smiled and pulled out Alex's folder from his jacket.