BRITTNEY

I woke up with a jerk only to hurt my knee, I looked around to find both my hands and my legs shackled. Scott was right beside me, also shackled. Next, I desperately tried to look for my wand but they had taken away my wand. Looking around it seemed that we were in an underground dungeon. There was only one way out, the main door.

Scott was still unconscious, so I kicked him awake. There was no way I was going to let him sleep, we needed a plan to get out of that place, and for that we both needed to use our brains. Scott at last got up; he turned his head slowly trying to figure out where he was,

"We are in an underground dungeon and there is only one way out. Lucy and Drake are most probably in another dungeon."

Scott nodded as he tried to keep up with all the things happening, I was about to suggest him to make a plan or something when the door just flew open. And there in front of us, stood none other than Rancour, he had this evil smirk on his face as he said,

"Well! Look at that both of you are awake! Hope you are enjoying your stay..."

Scott and I were just ignoring him until Rancour walked to me, pinned me to the wall behind me without any effort saying,

"Don't try to ignore me Brittney."

My hold body was... what is that word...? Buzzing, I guess. I felt as if my body was going limp, I could not even move my hands,

"Do you know the feeling that you are feeling now Brittney? It's called fear."

I could not even move my mouth to say something, the only thing that I could see was his sadistic eyes, Scott behind him was shouting,

"Leave her alone! You...!"

"There there Scott, you don't have to get so excited. I am not going to kill her right now, in fact I like her, I like the fear she has for me... It's quite... what's the word again..? Oh yes, I find her fear quite tantalizing."

With that Rancour let go of my neck and started to quietly walk away, it was then that I managed to say,

"What are you?"

To that Rancour turned around immediately and answered with a huge grin in his face,

"Some may call me a sadist, a lunatic, a maniac, a sociopath, a psychopath and the list goes on and on, but I prefer calling myself a mongrel."

"But that's not possible!" Scott said at once.

"No it's not." And with that Rancour shut the door and went away.

Scott looked at me puzzled,

"Did he just say that he was of mongrel species?"

"Yup"

"But that's impossible!"

I just shrugged to that." Maybe he was just bluffing."

Mongrels are the hybrid species of the supernatural world. They actually should have never even existed. I mean the evil Dracula king had tried to make a hybrid army, but all of them are supposed to be dead. None of them had survived the experiments of the king and in the end all of them died and the idea was later dropped completely. It's banned now I guess. So Rancour had to be bluffing.

"The temperature is rising." Scott suddenly said gaining my attention.

"What?"

"The temperature... It's getting hot here."

And then I noticed it too. The temperature was indeed rising, but it did not bother me anyway. But it did bother Scott. Scott always hated summer, and heat and all the things falling under that criteria. He liked fall and winter, the winter specially.

"Scott, it isn't time for you to whine... think of something so we can escape. We can't stay here."

Scott nodded and kept quiet but the temperature kept rising and rising until it became totally unbearable for Scott.

"Scott, why don't you think of something cold, like winter and snow and all that...? Is it working?"

"Absolutely not." Scott said mildly irritated.

"Ok let's practise the pro-training. There's not much to do around here, we can't think of any way to get out of her so why don't we do it, it requires a lot of concentration, and I don't think so anyone can distract you when you are in a dark prison with hands and legs chained."

"Ok"

Pro-training is the training that the wizards have to go through, before they become professionals. Not all of us can pass the professional test. This training involves making of magic without wands. That is pretty hard for wizards, but we can do it with lots and lots of training. All wizards take years to do it except some special wizards who get it in first try.

So Scott and I concentrated hard. I was pretty sure he was concentrating in ice, and trying to freeze the whole dungeon. Meanwhile, I was trying to absorb all the heat into myself. Sometimes I had this feeling as if fire was my element, so there was not harm in giving it a try.

"Is it working Scott?"

"It might work if you stop talking and distracting me. So why don't you shut up for a while."

Well, and I did that. Scott always had mood swings, from sweet to sour in a few seconds; Scott was always different from the other boys; that's why I am always attracted to him. Scott knows that and hates that, so we rarely ever have any conversation. So I at last decided to stop thinking about him and concentrate on either making an escape plan, or do a little pro-training. But then a question came to my mind,

They had separated the four of us, but why? Where they actually taking... precautions against us?

Now that thought literally lifted my hopes up and high and I could not help but smile in that situation, regardless the fact that Scott was looking at me wondering why I was smiling like an idiot all of a sudden.