The Hunger Games {Part 2}

Previously...

His suit was almost exactly like mine, but instead of a bow, he had a javelin across his back. He had a backpack over his shoulder as did I. He stood and pushed the hair out of his eyes. May I mention his hair? Yeah, it was green, like the color of the trees surrounding us. He offered his hand out to me and I took it, standing up. I almost fell back down on account of the pain in my leg.

"I can't hardly stand," I grunted, pushing myself up against the tree I had fallen near.

"Suck it up, the peace period's almost over. If you don't want to die, come with me."

I rolled my eyes, agreeing with the boy. He wrapped his arm around my waist and pulled me to my feet, then picking me up in his arms.

"Christ," I mumbled as he jogged through the thicket and dense trees.

"You're not leaving me." He said, finally stopping to sit me down inside a fallen dark and damp tree trunk.

"What do you mean?" I asked, pushing myself up against the side of the trunk. The boy sat down across from me, taking his javelin off his back and propping it against the trunk.

"I saw the other tribute from my district get murdered out there. She was my best friend." The boy sighed and buried his face in his hands, my job now becoming a lookout.

"I'm sorry, but there's no time to mourn yet." I gave an uncomfortable grunt. "My knee is still killing me. I think my kneecap is dislocated."

"Oh, I can fix that." With that, the boy crawled to me and put his hands on my kneecap, feeling it. I cringed from pain, knowing what he was going to do. He forced it back into its proper place, me biting my tongue to try to keep from making loud noises to attract other tributes or sector threats.

"Eh, thanks I guess. You didn't tell me your name, mystery boy." I asked as he sat down beside me reaching across the trunk and grabbing his javelin.

"It's Jack. I'm from District 8 and 18 years old." I looked down at my lap before responding.

"Mine's Mark. I'm from District 12 and also 18 years old." Jack cracked a smile.

"You seem nice." I nodded.

"I've been told I have a good heart, but I don't know."

"If you have a good heart, you shouldn't be in the Games." I sighed and ran a hand through my untidy hair.

"I wasn't actually uh... supposed to be here. My little brother was chosen at the Reaping, and I didn't want him to... you know." Jack nodded, seemingly intrigued in what I had to say. "So, I volunteered, now I'm here."

"I was just chosen. No big volunteering session, I was just forced here. I was one of the last remaining people left in my District that was actually old enough to be eligible to enter the Games, actually." Jack patted his legs, nervous.

"We'll make a great team." I said, lowering my voice.

"Who said we were a team?"

"You. You said I'm not leaving you, so I won't."