Fifth Birthday

otpprompts on tumblr
double update day i guess!

"Alright class," Mrs. Melanie announced, calming the rowdy kindergarteners. They all stopped their babbling and turned their attention to the teacher. "Can anyone take a guess at whose birthday it is today?" Nobody raised their hand, except a certain raven-haired little boy.

"I know!" He said, a toothy smile spreading across his face.

"Tell us, Mark."

"It's Jack's!" He said, pointing to the boy in front of him. His face lit up pink; he knew what came next.

"Right! Now Jack, come stand at the front of the class so we can sing you a happy birthday!" The blue-eyed boy hesitated to stand, but did anyways. He sniffed before leaning against the small wooden table he'd been sitting at.

"I don't wanna alone, Mrs. Melanie..." He whined. She gave him a gentle smile.

"Mark, can you stand at the front of the room with Jack so he won't be scared?" Mark nodded.

"Yes ma'am!" Mark grabbed Jack's hand and led him to the front of the classroom to stand.

"Okay everyone, on three, we sing a happy birthday to Jack!" Mrs. Melanie counted down and the class sang an edited version of the birthday song to Jack. All the while, Jack's face still a bright pink, but he was calmer than before with his clammy hand interlaced with his best friend's.