Camping

The empty street was suddenly filled with golf carts as the campground-goers sped up and down the main strip of road.

"Go faster, Mark! You're goin' like, two miles per hour!" Sean laughed, a grin spread across his pale face.

"I can't go any faster, we used the thing all day! The battery is almost dead!" Mark responded, pushing the pedal to the floor.

"Damn... Do you wanna ride around in the trees for a bit then? We can always take it back to the camper and charge it." Mark nodded.

The two rode around the site and waved to the kids passing by and pointing at their brightly-colored hair. Finally, they had arrived at a small concrete bridge that was blocked by four wooden posts.

"You reckon we can squeeze through 'em?" Mark asked, turning the cart off and pulling the key out. Sean nodded.

The boys left the cart and shimmied between the posts. They walked through the dirt and sand under the thick trees above and sat down on the bank of the pond.

"Look!" Mark whispered, pointing across the pond to a swan.

"Ooh, it's so pretty!" Sean exclaimed, dipping his feet into the murky water.

"It is. You know what else is so pretty?" Mark asked, leaning back on his hands. Sean did the same as his face lit up pink.

"Hm?"

"You." Sean laughed and rolled his eyes.

"Yeah, okay."

"I'm just stating the obvious. I mean, how could someone not think your pretty?" Sean closed his eyes and laid down on the sand.

"You think I'm petite, so I'm pretty, correct?"

"Yes. You're a petite 'lil cutie. It's just... The way the moonlight catches the blue in your eyes and makes them so bright and full of life. The way your hair is always messy. The way you look up at me when you've just asked me a question. The way your lips move when you say 'I love you.' I feel like the luckiest guy in history to be alive right here, right now." Sean's face had turned an intense shade of pink after he'd listened to Mark.

"Like, half that shite isn't true." Mark chuckled and laid back with Sean.

"Shut up and let me love you."