Chapter 11

Kakashi's POV

"Alright, listen up!" the Third Hokage orders, gaining the attention of myself and the numerous Shinobi around me. We all stop talking amongst ourselves and look up, as the Hokage clears his throat.

"It is now time to nominate candidates for the upcoming Chuunin Exams" Lord Third explains. "To begin with, those who are in charge of the rookie Genin, please step forwards.

Shoving one hand in my pants pocket, I take one step towards the Hokage, along with two of my fellow Jonin. Kurenai Yuhi, an attractive woman with dark hair and scarlet eyes also moves forwards, along with Asuma Sarutobi, a tall, tan skinned man with a goatee.

"Kakashi, Kurenai and Asuma"the Hokage addresses each of us, "Are there any Genin from your squads that you would like to recommend for the Exams? As you are well aware, any Genin that has completed at least eight mission is eligible to compete, however, most of them require far more experience before they are ready........Ultimately the decision is up to you. Kakashi, let's begin with you."

"I am the leader of Team Seven" I say with a slight nod of my head. "My Genin are Sasuke Uchiha, Naruto Uzumaki, Sakura Haruno and Ashley Minami. I, Kakashi Hatake, wholeheartedly recommend all four Genin to take part in the Chuunin Exams."

Having expected a surprised reaction to my unusual decision, I ignore the faint gasps around me and glance down at Kurenai as she takes another step forwards.

"My team us number Eight" the fair skinned woman states. "It's members are Hinata Hyuga, Kiba Inuzuka and Shino Aburame. I, Kurenai Yuhi, recommend all three Genin as well."

"And I'm in charge of Team number Ten" Asuma follows up immediately, not allowing anyone to butt in. "Ino Yamanaka, Shikamaru Nara and Choji Akimichi. Now I, Asuma Sarutobi, also recommend all three of my Genin for the Chuunin Exams."

Shocked voices begin whispering around us, people cleared unsure about our unlikely decision to put all ten rookies through the Chuunin Exams so early. I don't really understand why they're all so surprised though.

Surely they can trust Kurenai, Asuma and I to correctly judge our Genin's abilities? If I didn't think my rag tag team was ready for this challenge, there's no way I'd recommend them.

"Hold on a second!" a voice cries out, almost making me sigh as Iruka pushes through the small crowd and makes his way over to the Hokage.

"Yes Iruka?" the Hokage asks wearily, eyeing the worried looking brunette. "Do you have a concern?"

"With all due respect Lord Hokage" the Chuunin begins, stopping beside me, "Nine of the ten names that were just given were students of mine back at the Academy. Now, I realize that they have all made progress, but I know all of their skills and abilities, and they're just not ready! They will all need far more experience, or they're sure to fail the Exams...

"I became a Chuunin when I was six years younger than Naruto and the others" I inform Iruka, turning to face the man as he frowns a little.

"Naruto is nothing like you Kakashi!" Iruka retorts, sounding worried. "Are you trying to get him killed?!"

"Well" I begin thoughtfully, shrugging a shoulder, "My team is always complaining about their missions being too easy, so maybe wiping out during the Exams will teach them a lesson or two. Pain is good for them."

"Wha.....What did you just say?!" Iruka questions, aghast and irritated with my answer.

"Oh don't worry" I assure the Chuunin, "I don't mean anything fatal......But seriously Iruka, you need to relax. I understand that you take this all quite personally, seeing as nearly all of the Genin were your students for quite some time, but you don't nee-"