Chapter 21

Edited 08/06/2015

Ashley's POV

I look up at Kakashi's back appreciatively, though I am admittedly a little surprised that he'd move so quickly to shield me from Orochimaru. He must understand how scared I am of that man.

I mean, I usually try not to show any weakness around others, but I just can't seem to keep my cool when it comes to Orochimaru. I don't want to go back with him.

Even though he seems to be focusing on Sasuke now, I keep thinking that since he's discovered I'm here in the Leaf, he'll force me back to one of his hideouts and hold me prisoner as punishment for running away from him....

Smiling evilly, Orochimaru leans to the right a bit, peering around Kakashi. I can't help flinching as we lock eyes, something that causes the man to chuckle in dark amusement.

Kakashi growls under his breath at this and places his arms out to his sides, blocking me from Orochimaru's view.

"Don't even look at her" the silver haired Jonin warns seriously, to which Orochimaru laughs again, not at all feeling threatened.

"But Kakashi" the man croons, a strand of long, black hair falling across his face, "She's my dear, little protégé, and I haven't seen her in quite some time....."

I look up guiltily as Kakashi glances down at me over his shoulder, before flicking my eyes back over to my old Master.

"While I'm not at all surprised to see you flourishing in the Chunin Exams" Orochimaru continues, wide grin still in place, "I am curious as to why my dear student is all the way over here, in the Hidden Leaf Village to begin with."

Seeing that I am unable to speak, Kakashi turns back around, his eyes narrowed.

"That's none of your concern" the masked Ninja replies sharply. "A good question to ask would be why are you here?"

"Come now Ashley" Orochimaru presses, hooding his eyes and smiling sinisterly at me, "Why don't you want to speak to your Master? You'll hurt my feelings if you-"

"Y-You're not my Master" I growl quietly, baring my teeth and urging myself to hold Orochimaru's intimidating gaze.

The man says nothing, though I see his eyes shine, no doubt enjoying how uncomfortable he's making me. He's doing it on purpose, the bastard....

"I don't want to have to ask you again" Kakashi speaks up strongly."What are you doing here Orochimaru? The likes of you aren't welcome in the Village anymore."

"No offence Kakashi" Orochimaru drawls, "But my business here has nothing to do with you."

I subconsciously reach up and grab onto the back of Kakashi's green vest, as Orochimaru's gaze glides past me, a hungry glint in his eyes.

"No, my business is with the Uchiha behind you" Orochimaru explains, before pausing for a few seconds and narrowing his eyes, smiling slyly. "The male one."

"What?" Kakashi asks, sounding confused. I bite my lower lip and gently rest my forehead against the Jonin's back, hoping he didn't catch on to what Orochimaru just said. The last thing I need is for him to question me.....

"What do you want with Sasuke?" Kakashi demands to know, sounding fierce again.

".....It seems that good fortune smiled on you Kakashi" Orochimaru sneers, pushing some hair back from his pale face. "How I envy it...."