Move on

"Jacob say something." He continued to stare into space, lost in his own thoughts. "Please, J, are you alright?"  Connie asked, concerned.
He nodded slightly, returning his gaze back to her, "Yeah, well we've just got to do our jobs now. Forget about it." He went to move away, but Connie stopped him.
"Are we not even going to call the police?" She frowned.
"I'll do it later. Not like the kid's running off anytime soon." He laughed awkwardly, before returning back into the ED. The smile faded as soon as he turned his back. Knowing that the guy who almost killed him was lying inside, scared him. And he never thought he'd be afraid of anyone.

Dr. Gardner caught sight of Jacob as he entered the ED and hurried on up to him. "Oh Jacob, are you busy?" She asked, sounding stressed.
"Do I look it." He snapped, immediately feeling bad. Elle frowned at his vicious tone. She wondered if something had happened between him and Connie.
"Jacob, is everything alright? Connie was acting strange earlier as well."
Jacob sighed, just wanting to forget about the guy lying in resus. "I'm fine. I'm just very busy." He picked up a few random files lying about and walked away.

Elle thought she'd see if Connie would explain what was going on with the pair of them, spotting her by reception and walking over. She could tell that Connie's mind was a mile away, as she stared at the words on the sheet of paper.
"Mrs. Beauchamp, my office please."
Connie flicked her head up, completely confused. "I'm sorry, why do i need to go to your office? As you can see, I'm very busy."
Elle laughed slightly. "That's exactly what Jacob said and I'm not stupid, your not even reading them notes."
She sighed, defeated. She followed Dr. Gardner to her office.

Connie shut the door behind her. "Right, well you better make this quick, patients to treat." Elle rolled her eyes, sitting down behind the desk.
"Take a seat Connie." She did as she was told and sat down opposite Elle. "Ok, now are you going to tell me why you and Jacob have been acting so weird ever since that patient arrived." She folded her arms with a sigh.
"Fine. If you must know Damian Knightly is the boy who almost stabbed Jacob to death. There, now you know why I might've been acting a bit strange, knowing that the reason I almost lost the man I love is only a few steps away from me is slightly unsettling y'know." Connie could feel the emotions getting to her again, quickly wiping a stray tear off her cheek.
Elle instantly felt her pain. After all, it was scary enough for her, she could've lost her best friend because of him. "Oh Connie, I'm so sorry. I had know idea. I just wish you'd told me sooner. God, I thought you and Jacob we're going through a dry patch or something. I was preparing for a big speech telling you to not to let your private life affect your work." She laughed a little. "Right, anyway, I don't want either of you anywhere near resus today. In fact, why don't you both take the day off, spend some quality time together."
Connie smiled at her kind gesture. "Thanks but we need to be here when the police arrive."
"Ok, well you know where I am if you need me." She smiled gently, as Connie stood up.
"Thanks Elle." She matched her smile, walking out of the office, feeling a little better.

Connie was worried about Jacob. She didn't believe the 'calm face' that he put on to her earlier, but the thing that worried her most was that she hadn't seen him for 3 hours.
"Charlie have you seen Jacob?" She asked at the desk.
Charlie shook his head. "Sorry Connie, I haven't seen him for ages. Have you tried ringing him?"

Jacob's POV
I don't really remember walking into the store cupboard. I just found myself now fiddling with a  bandage, sitting on a stool.
I know that I should be out there, but I can't be bothered with all of the questioning as to where I have been for the past 3 hours.
My hand travels across to my pocket, where a hard black box pokes out. I pull it out and open it. A smile spreads across my face at the sight of it. The beautiful, sparkly diamond ring can be seen from a mile away.
My thoughts are distracted by a buzz that came from my other pocket. I pull out my phone and look at the caller ID, Connie. I smile at her beautiful name and answer it straight away.