The Run and Go

Summary: Based off the song The Run and Go by Twenty One Pilots. Dan is dealing with things, and as much as Phil wants to help, Dan has to figure most things out by himself.

I'm super nervous about this one because I love Twenty One Pilots and I really dont wanna misinterpret their lyrics; but then again can you really misinterpret art? Cue prententious overthinking.

Warnings: Mostly just Dan ridiculing himself and struggling to find out who he is.

WC: 1821 oh my frickity frackity frackinns

I cant take them on my own, my own.

Oh I'm not the one you know, you know.

I have killed a man and all I know,

Is I am on the run and go.

Dan paced his room, unsure of how to get rid of this unsettling feeling. He felt like he needed to do something, he wanted to draw or play piano or scroll through the internet, but then again, he wanted to do nothing. He wanted to lay on his bed and tug at his hair and claw his eyes. He wanted to cry, but he wanted to be numb. Everything was bugging him but nothing would soothe the itch inside.

He wasn't content to lay in bed, but he wasn't sure what to do about the nagging feeling in his head that practically screamed at him to move, do be active, to do something other than nothing.

Dan was confused.

He sighed and ran his hand through his hair. He felt like he had cramps in his legs, but he knew it was the ache of complete nothingness. The pain was in his head, not his legs.

He looked around his room, everything seemed too bright, but when the light were out he was terrified of the darkness that would surround him.

It was in the hours where the city was barely awake, college kids were still getting drunk, business men were resting peacefully, kids were dreaming of sweet things.

And then there was Dan.

Who couldn't sleep, because when he closed his eyes his brain went a million miles a hour and red dots appeared behind his eyes. If he paced around his room he wouldn't sleep. If he didn't sleep he could handle whatever his brain threw at him.

He was content to stand up until he couldn't feel his legs anymore. He would sleep when the sun came up.

Don't wanna call you in the night time, don't wanna give you all my pieces. Don't wanna hand you all my trouble, don't wanna give you all my demons. You'll have to watch me struggle from several rooms away, but tonight, I need you to stay.

"You were up late last night." Phil said, when Dan walked out of his room that afternoon. He was holding a bowl of cereal. His eyes still heavy with sleep. He only got out of bed because the smell of his breath was enough to kill.

"Couldn't sleep." Dan managed to mumble. He sat down on the couch and took a large bite of cereal.

"You still look tired." Phil said, pausing the T.V. to turn and look at Dan fully.

He looked kinda shit, honestly.

He had dark bags under his eyes, his hair wasn't washed, a sheen of grease made his hair lay flat and shine in an unhealthy kinda way. He had on the clothes had been wearing for the last three days. But, he was brushing his teeth, so atleast there was a line.

" 'At's because I am." Dan mumbled, taking another big bite and chewing it slowly.

"Dan...I don't wanna be rude or anything but....you look pretty shit..." Phil said, without a whole lot of tact.