26.

Normani Kordei Hamilton.

"Don't cry." I mumble, running my fingers through her hair. "You're going to make me cry."

"I can't help it." She sobs. "Why are they taking so long?"

"Baby this is a hospital okay? You should know how long it takes to check certain things." I try to explain, but then realize that right now Dinah isn't a doctor or intern or care worker, right now, she's a family member of a patient. "Sorry."

She doesn't respond and sits up straight, careful not to bump her head on the top bunk.

"Have they really not said anything?" She asks sadly.

I shake my head after checking my phone and pager.

She wipes her eyes and rests her head on my shoulder. "I'm tired." She mumbles.

"You should take a nap." I suggest.

She shakes her head. "I want to be here when some news comes through."

"And you will." I assure her. "Come on, a little nap, I know how tired you are and you need the sleep."

She nods reluctantly and looks down before looking back at me.

Dinah and I haven't been dating for three months yet, but I know how to interpret her little shy actions. "What is it?" I ask softly.

"Can I lay on top of you?" She asks. "Just for now? I mean, you don't have to since you usually lay on top, but - "

"You can lay on top of me." I cut her off. "Just calm down, okay?"

"Okay." She nods and I get myself situated on the bed. Dinah crawls over to me and gets on top of me, sighing in content when her head meets my chest. "I'm not too heavy, am I?"

I shake my head and peck her forehead awkwardly. "You're not heavy at all."

She nods and closes her eyes, slowly falling asleep.

Just then, I get a text and clutch my phone tightly, hoping the sound didn't wake Dinah. Then I remember that Dinah sleeps like a rock anyway, so I just shrug and check the message.

Jauregui 😷 (16:47) : Milika needs surgery...

Me (16:48) : What happened Jauregui?

Jauregui 😷 (16:48) : Cant tell you remember? Protocol.

Me (16:49) : Bullshit. That's my mother in law, it must count for something.

Jauregui 😷 (16:49) : Her liver failed her and she needs a transplant.

Me (16:50) : ...

Me (16:51) : Are you joking? Have you checked the list yet? Lauren, there are hundreds of people waiting for new livers.

Jauregui 😷 (16:51) : I know. I know. Stop bitching. Anyway, Milika is asking for you.

Me (16:52) : Me? Where is she?

Jauregui 😷 (16:53) : ICU. Hurry up.

Me (16:54) : Give me a minute. I'll meet you in the hallway in front of the ward soon.

Jauregui 😷 (16:55) : K.

Me (16:55) : Scuse me?

Jauregui 😷(16:56) : nothing. See you soon.I'm waiting and hours are almost over.

I don't reply after that, so I try and think of a way to leave without waking Dinah.

I know that she would have loved to see her mother, since she was stressing earlier and all, but I think that she needs so much more sleep than anything.