29.

Normani Kordei Hansen.

"What are you guys doing here?" I ask, cautiously.

"I'll leave you guys alone then." Ally says, probably smelling that shit is about to go down.

She leaves hurriedly after collecting all her things and makes sure to close the door behind her.

"Mooom."

"Don't annoy me Normani. Why did I have to read on the news that you're a lesbian?" My mother asks harshly as my father stands by the foot of my bed, speechless.

"Firstly, I'm not a lesbian, and secondly TMZ isn't exactly news." I try to defend myself.

My mother sits down next to me. "And why did I have to hear from Bryshere that you're living with that gangster girl?"

"Why are you even talking to him, knowing that we broke up a while ago?" I ask. "And Kehlani is not a gangster girl or whatever the hell you want to call her. She is my friend."

"Yeah your friend. The one that pollutes your head with this nonsense that you're able to date women now. God Normani, what is wrong with you? We leave you for a few years in the city and this is what you turn into!"

"What do you mean by that?" I ask defensively.

"What I mean is you don't tell us anything anymore. When we requested to see Dr. Hamilton in the front, they told us that she was in a ward already. In a bed. What the hell are you doing in a hospital bed Normani? Do you donate livers to all of your patients?"

"Andrea you need to - "

"Was I talking to you Derrick?" She cuts my father off. "This girl clearly needs to come back home and realize the difference between right and wrong."

"What the hell do you mean right and wrong?" I raise my voice.

I'm thankful for the fact that Ally left the blinds closed because the nurses would have had a field day in front of the window.

"I didn't raise you like this and you known that!" My mother raises her voice to my level. "It's only since you moved and started living in the 'big city', that things are changing."

"Are you trying to say that me being with a woman is wrong?" I ask calmly.

"On so many levels." She throws her hands in the air and then turns to my father. "Right Derrick?"

"You want me to speak now?" He asks, raising his eyebrows and my mother just glares in response to his question. "Listen, Mani is a big girl... She can do whatever she wants. She's legal, she's got her own job, she's taking care of herself."

"So what exactly are you trying to say?" My mother asks my father, completely leaving me out of the situation.

"What I'm trying to say is... although I don't like it, it's her life."

"That she's messing up!"

"Can you stop talking about me like I'm not laying right here?" I ask, slightly offended.

Ally bursts through the door. "Ma'am, you're spiking up my patients blood pressure. You need to leave."

"You need to get your ducks in a row little girl. That's all I'm saying." My mother says, slinging her bag over her arm and then walking out with Ally on her tail.

Through the portion of the door that was left open, I can see many nurses gathered outside.

My father sighs. "No guarantee, but I'll try to talk to her."