Ch.17 The Devils Past

Arthur was surprised to hear that name, the same guy who he had just talked to once. Was the devil. Emma continued sobbing until someone knocked on the door and opened it. Ludwig Beilshmidt.

"Err....Arthur...I have to ask you-"

"Where is Gilbert?" Arthur asked immediately, ludiwg tensed. "He was taken wasn't he?"

"Y-yes...I need your help, my brother he has been running from us for weeks, and...then Emma came by and- I really need your help" ludwig said as his blue eyes were full of worry. Arthur knew that feeling too well, the worry that your brothers or family may not be okay. "Please" Ludwig pleaded. Arthur nodded, as he still embraced Emma.

"Please come in Ludwig, we must speak if you want me to help Gilbert"

"Er..yes" ludiwg replied as he entered the room. "Your question might be, how Gilbert became the devil am I right?"

"Yes" Arthur replied, as Emma was still crying, "Emma...you need to rest-"

"But it was my fault!" She cried out, her sobs and weeps were distracting. Arthur sighed,

"Somnus" Arthur ordered, in Latin as Emma immediately went quiet and her head fell on Arthurs shoulder. "Sorry...Emma..."

"She's been like that since the morning" Ludwig informed, "well, i shall tell you as to why my brother became The Devil....long time ago, when the previous devil and angel existed...before the incident, Gilbert was actually marked by the Haven. Father was very proud at first to know one of his sons would potentially be a great person, but after the incident...the Angel and the devil's reputation was so tainted that father became abusive towards Gilbert.." ludiwg said as he clenched his fists.
"A-and...we only had father, so we couldn't do anything towards his abusive nature, Gilbert protected me a lot since father would take his anger out on me a lot more, saying I wasn't fulfilling his expectations, since one of his sons was a failure already.."

"You don't need to-" Arthur began saying as he noticed how Ludwig looked angered,

"No. I must continue." Ludwig replied, "so..one day, father came home drunker than usual and far more abusive, when he had a bat...he began to try and hit us, but Gilbert...Gilbert-he uh...his power went out of control and....father died."

"Im so sorry-"

"Don't be. He wasn't our father, no father should treat his children that way." Ludiwg replied with a strict tone. His blue eyes weren't looking at Arthur but rather glaring at the floor. "After Brother's...mistake...his heart was filled with more negativity and sins than anything else, but he changed when he met Elizabeth and Roderich. At most he was around 15? When he met them...he was very happy. But once...Elizabeth was claimed as the successor of an oracle, their time together became limited, and when Roderich left to become a Knight for King Ivan...Gilbert was left alone once more." Ludwig said quietly. "But my brother was not the Devil back then, he didn't become that till his 20th birthday. Maybe a couple years ago? Gilbert...had gone on the wrong path, getting drunk on small occasions, he did spend his time with girls, but he was-is- hardworking. He always has been, and he even paid my Knight School tuition"

"Your brother sounds very.."

"Awesome?" Ludiwg asked with a small smile, "Gilbert never asked to become or be claimed at The Devil, and only a month ago when you were chosen as The Angel, Gilbert began to have...outbursts. His outbursts were stronger than usual and he couldn't control them, every time we tried helping...we would get hurt. He felt guilty and ran off, but we also found out he had been being hunted down, but he hadn't told us. That should explain the scars on his body when you see him"