Sleep Paralysis

This is a scary Jasper story with a little bit of Kasper at the end..

She suffers from sleep paralysis, I suggest you Google it to understand this story better.

Enjoy.

As I first settled into my new surroundings, I found a particularly interesting subject.

I remember when I was little, when my mom was still around, that I would see them, looking through my window, sitting at the foot of my bed, standing in my doorway.

Accompanied with the feeling of suffocation, I felt adrenaline run through me, which was basically useless as I couldn't move.

There was the Fedora man, whose henchmen would torture me, hitting and beating and suffocating me, while he watched on in pleasure, an evil smirk on his face. It only made my father's beatings, later on, even worse. I could only see his mouth. The rest was covered by shadows.

There was also the black cat, who would stare down at me, yellow eyes glowing, pain and breathlessness. And when I first saw Kamirah, I thought she was the one who had been torturing me all those years, and, to my horror, one of my horrifying hallucinations had been real.

After I awoke, I would sit up screaming and sobbing for my mom. She would run in and hug me and tell me everything was alright. My dad would stand in the doorway, not uncaring but more confused on how to help. He had not turned sour yet.

There were countless others, but they all went away when C and her friends brought me into their group.

As soon as he died, there they were, crisp as I remember them in my childhood.

Instead of hurting me, they would string him up and torture him - stabbing, cutting, bruising. It hurt me even more that way.

That used to be me.

And, nearly five years after it happened, I met him out on a sidewalk near the pizzeria.

I'm not sure why I went outside in the first place. It was overcast that day - not exactly a good time. No signs of a storm, but you could never be too careful.

I was sitting near an alleyway. He made flirty comments to me, and although I brushed them off, I had really been hoping to see him again.

My wish was fulfilled.

I was nervous at first, but slowly accepted his sweet comments. He had started to heal the hole, bit by bit.

I was so afraid that it would be Kacy in my hallucinations now.

And at one point, I fell asleep next to him, and while waking up, it was there.

My fears had become reality. At least, whatever this was. A place between time, lost between sleeping and wakefulness? I feared I would never know.

The demon with horrible horns, animal-like legs, massive bat wings and a distorted face. It stood there looming before us in the hallway. Kacy was alert at that point, but as I learned later, he was still sleeping in reality. My own foolish mind playing tricks on me.

The demon turned to me and grinned.

"You have a new companion now. Very interesting."

His formerly smooth voice turned into a scary, raspy one.

"wAnT tO wAtCh HiM dIe?"

I couldn't move. I couldn't speak. I was paralyzed.

The thing laughed and shoved its claws into Kacy's chest. Purple blood stained his perfect white scarf and coat. He screamed at me.

"Jasper! Jasper, please!"

The panicked sound of his voice made my palms tingle. It didn't happen this fast.

"wAtCh HiM dIe."

And it finally slashed through his face. I could barely hear the horrible scream from Kacy that followed. It was ending - slowly, but surely. The ringing got louder, and louder -

And then I awoke.

It only ends when you go insane, Jasper.

It's the only way.

Gasping, clutching at Kacy's chest, sobbing into his coat, yelling his name. I did all of these things, and only when I had calmed down enough could I really answer his question, stop the repeated screaming and ringing in my ears that always followed.

"Jasper? What happened?! Did you have a nightmare?!"

"No..." I whispered.

"Can you tell me what happened?" Kacy pulled me into his lap, and an electric current ran through me. It reminded me too much of that stupid place between time that I could never figure out the reasoning for. He hugged me tightly, and stroked my hair.

Like he used to.

Pushing away the nostalgia, I said, with a little more life to my voice, "...I...it's scary..."

"Please?" He said, looking down at me. His eyes were so pretty. It was a cliche thing to say, but there were several striking tints of violet all surrounding his black pupil in a beautiful swirl.

"I...sometimes...when I'm about to wake up...I see these things...and they hurt you...and I can't do anything, I...I'm paralyzed. I have to watch you be...tortured, and it hurts so much..." I had been grabbing his coat again.

Kacy sighed and pulled me closer to him. "Oh, Jasper..." And we sat there for a long time, alone. It was wonderful. His arms around me, his cool breath on the top of my head, his white scarf tickling my chin.

"I love you, Jasper."

It was almost a full minute before I responded.

"...I...I love you too, Kacy."