Chapter 5

“Bex wake up, it’s time to go” Tara whispers, tapping my shoulder. “Becky!” she shouts, I almost jump out of my skin and roll over, “Get up, we can’t be late” she says pulling the covers off me, its so cold so I reach for them back, she just drags them out the room “We’re leaving in an hour” she tells me as she struts towards the kitchen. I shiver in the cold, I should get dressed. I force myself out of bed and over to the bathroom where I have a quick shower, wash my face and brush my teeth. I hurry out and run to the wardrobe after wrapping myself in two towels, I pull out a pair of plain black skinny jeans and fetch my new t shirt from the back of the chair in my room. I slip it over my towel-covered head and sit down to dry my hair. I think I’m going to make an effort today, I don’t want to look like I just got out of bed. 

After I dry my hair, I curl the ends and pull it up into a high, loose (but secure) pony tail. I stand in front of the full length mirror and inspect myself. Have I changed much in two years? I mean I’ve got taller, my hair has grown a lot, I suppose you could say I’ve got more of a figure now, like more curvy I guess but I’m not drop dead gorgeous like some girls these days. 

I then sit down again to apply a little bit of foundation, just in case I get really hot or embarrass myself and my face goes a bright tomato colour. I flick on black eyeliner and brush on mascara before picking out a red, but not too red lipstick. It matches my nails and top so it looks okay. I walk out of my room and Tara hands me a piece of toast, she’s on the phone.

“Mmhm, yep, okay… yeah sure, okay we’re on our way, yep, see you in a bit” she says while pulling on some black converse, she’s dressed the same as me, she’s got pink lipstick and pink nails that don’t really go with everything else, but she still looks stunning. “Right Bex we’d better go Peter wants us there to see the briefing for the contestants, oh you look nice, I like the lipstick” she’s travelling round the room grabbing random objects and shoving them into her bag.

“Okay, can I borrow your red converse please?” I ask, they’ll go perfectly with my outfit.

“Yep” she says and I run into her room “Don’t forget your tag thing!” she calls after me, I’d have forgotten it if she hadn’t just reminded me, I hold my toast in my mouth and shove the shoes over my feet and sprint into my room to grab my lanyard and push it over my head. I grab my phone and lipstick and shove them into my back pocket before meeting Tara at the door. We take the lift down to the car in the car park and climb in.

“I’m nervous” I tell her, taking the last bite of my toast and rubbing my fingers to try and warm them up, its really cold today, I should have brought a coat.

“Don’t be, the worst you could do is spill tea over him” she laughs.

“Don’t jinx it! I probably will do something like that again” I admit “I mean I’m nervous for today in general” 

“Oh don’t be, its me who should be nervous! I’ve got these 200 and something contestants to organise” she says as we pull onto the arena car park. I check the time in the car, its something like 5:30 in the morning no wonder I’m yawning my head off. 

We make our way through to the main arena, where we’re welcomed by some official looking people that Tara seems to know well. We walk through the room and I spot the judges having their pictures taken on stage. 

“Oh my God there they are” I say pointing towards them.

“Yeah, you might even be able to deliver their water at the breaks and stuff or something” she winks at me. What if they speak to me? What should I say? I’m getting really nervous, the thought of seeing Harry was scary enough, but having to do stuff for Simon Cowell? Wow.