Chapter 17

Harry’s POV

“Mate that was sick” Liam compliments Zayn on a riff he just sang, it was pretty nice. Zayn sings it again for everyone. We’ve been up for four hours, managed to eat half of the fridge in the corner, laughed until my sides hurt and done about twenty minutes of actual singing.

“I think this is sounding pretty good” I tell the boys. I know we haven’t really done much but we’ve all got pretty decent voices, and they sound okay together so that’s great.

“I know, we just need to pick a song then work on it” Louis says, he’s munching on a packet of crisps, it’s a good job I went and brought loads of food, we’d have had none left by ten this morning. 

“What song though” Niall says, leaning on his arm. We’re sitting in a circle on beanbags on the wooden floor in the middle of the room. 

“I have no idea” Zayn says, we all pause for a minute while we think. I don’t know either, we need to find a song that sounds great and that fits with everyone. There’s no point in singing a song that no one likes. 

“I’ll put my ipod on shuffle and see what we like” I say, rolling over to my dock and pressing shuffle. There’s a few songs where we all instantly shake our heads and say no. 

“Hey this isn’t that bad” Niall says when Viva la Vida by Coldplay comes on. I restart the song and we share the verses and sing the chorus all together, when the song ends we all fall silent, unsure about what we think of the song.

“I think it’s a popular song and people might kind of just ignore it? I don’t know but some of the other groups were doing all cool stuff and mixing everything up” I say, some of the other groups sounded amazing, like really amazing.

“Yeah I agree, it’s a bit predictable” Niall says, everyone else nods and I skip to the next song. 

“What about singing a girl song?” Zayn recommends, that could either be brilliant or horrific.

“Maybe, no one will expect it” Liam says, pushing his bottom lip out and raising his eyebrows. 

“I think we should try it” Louis says “If it doesn’t work it doesn’t work” he shrugs. 

“Should I google it and see what comes up?“ I look back at my ipod, unsure about what songs I actually have. The boys tell me I should so I google ‘girl songs in the charts’ and a list of female artists comes up on the first website. I read them out. We all shake our heads to Beyonce, Shakira and Kylie Minogue. “Who’s Natalie Imburgurlia?” I ask, I’m pretty sure I got that wrong but oh well.

“Natalie Imbruglia?” Liam asks, I look back at the spelling and nod to him “She sings that song… what’s it called” he pauses tilting his head back “Thought I saw a man brought to life, he was warm he came around…” he mumbles through the verse in double speed until he reaches the chorus “Torn!” he says “Yeah she sings torn” we all have blank faces, not recognising it “Search it on youtube, you’ll know it” he says. 

I open up youtube and search the song, we all listen in. I recognise it and start humming along with Liam, it’s a pretty good song. 

“Oh yeah I know it now” Louis says joining us. 

“I know it but I don’t know know it” Zayn explains.

“Yeah me too” Niall says.

“Boys I really like this song and its not too popular, it could work” Liam says. 

“I’ll find a lyric video” I say, typing it in. I click on the first one that comes up and we start to sing along. 

“Boys this sounds good” Louis says during an instrumental.