Chapter 64

“I asked Reid because I can tell you like him,” Freya tells me.

“It’s not that I particularly like like him, he confuses me a lot and we kind of had an argument the other day and he was really angry at me so I was wondering why he’d agree to do something for my birthday,” I explain.

“It was him who told me it was your birthday on Saturday,” Freya says.

“It was his idea?”

“No, he just told me it’s your birthday it was my idea to do something!”

“Oh, can I have a hint as to what it is?” I ask.

“Nope, I’m not going to tell you until we get in the car and are on our way,” she laughs. 

“Fine,” I sigh.

“And, the other night when I told you Reid won’t tell you what we’re doing…” she says and I nod, “That’s because he doesn’t know.”

“So he agreed to do something for my birthday but he has no idea what it is?” 

“Yep,” she smiles.

“That doesn’t sound like him,” I say.

“See, he must like you,” she raises her eyebrows at me.

We get up and put our lunch trays on the cart before we leave the hall.

“Where’s Sam then?” Freya asks nervously.

“He’s got some sort of rugby meeting,” I simply answer, “Why?”

“Just wondering,” she brushes it off.

“Do you like him?”

“Well he’s a cool guy yeah, a nice friend,” Freya avoids looking at me.

“You know what I mean,” I say.

“Well I don’t really know him but um, he is kind of super attractive you have to admit,” she laughs nervously.

“You should totally try and get closer with him,” I smile.

“I don’t know,” she blushes, “He probably won’t like me back.”

“Trust me, I think you’re his type, I mean I haven’t known him for too long but I know he’s a nice guy and you’re a nice girl so I don’t see why it wouldn’t work,” I tell her, “And you both seem to put up with me so you’ve got something in common!”

“I suppose,” she laughs.

I sit through double German silently not taking part, I learn what I need to learn for the exams. I don’t want to have to get involved in class discussions. I write ‘Dienstag’ down the right side of my page in different fonts until the teacher asks us to write four paragraphs on our views on the community’s environment in German.

“Yes, it’s definitely Tuesday,” Miss comments, reading down the side of the page.

“Sorry Miss,” I whisper, not wanting to disturb the silent class.

“It’s a good job your grades are good,” she raises an eyebrow at me. 

I’m glad that teachers know I’m willing to put in the effort to get the grades I need. It means that if they catch me doing something a little bit ‘unlike me’ as they say, they let me off because they know it won’t affect my exam results. 

I write my paragraphs quickly and spend the rest of the lesson wondering what will happen at tonight’s project meeting. 

I feel like I should apologise to Reid for kissing him. But I also think he should apologise to me for flying completely off the handle at me after I did.