Chapter 67

I told Sam I had to meet Freya instead of sitting on the bus explaining what just happened. So I sit with Freya in her tutor room as she does course work and tell her everything that just happened.

“No one in their right mind drugs their girlfriends best friend,” she says.

“Well I wasn’t actually his girlfriend? And she’s not my best friend,” I say.

“Still, what he did isn’t right,” she sighs, “did he explain exactly why he did that?”

“No, I didn’t give him chance,” I say, “And I regret that because that’s what went wrong with Harry, I didn’t let him-”

“Harry?” she asks, looking up from her work.

“Oh, um yeah he was just this guy I went out with for a while,” I say, not wanting to explain all of that as well.

“Oh, what happened with him?”

“He thought I’d ditched him when really I was visiting Sam in hospital, he got annoyed that I was seeing him instead of going to the gig and in the end I poured a beer over his head and I haven’t really seen him since,” I say.

“What gig?” she asks.

“Just this small concert thing, it wasn’t much really,” I try to shrug it off.

“Maybe you should let Reid explain, and also see if he still wants to come tomorrow because we’ll have to ask someone else,” she says, carrying on writing perfect little letters across her blank page.

“Yeah, we’ll ask Sam,” I say and Freya smiles down at the paper.

“You excited for tomorrow?” Mom asks as I walk into the kitchen after returning from college.

“Yeah I guess,” I shrug, really my mind’s too full of worries about Reid to be excited about birthday presents.

“Are you still going out with Freya tomorrow night?” 

“Yeah,” I tell her I have no idea where we’re going then evacuate to my room.

I flop onto my bed and relax when I realise I don’t have to do any work tonight. I check my phone and I have no texts. I was expecting a message from Reid at least saying something about what happened. 

I regret not letting him talk, even though what he did was completely not right, I should have let him say something. Why do I never make the right decisions.

I lay on my bed with my laptop pretty much all night, Freya messages me about what to wear tomorrow and we chat about what I think I might be getting for my birthday, I eat tea the return back to my internet. 

“Night Bex see you in the morning,” Mom calls through the door as I brush my teeth, I say goodnight and she walks off.

“Enjoy your last few hours of being sixteen,” dad says when I get back into bed. I didn’t realise it was already this late, when I look at my alarm clock it says half 10.

“You’re getting so old,” my brother knocks on my door a few minutes after.

“You’re ancient though,” I tell him.

“Yeah,” he laughs, “I thought being seventeen was way better than being sixteen, you’ll enjoy it.”

As soon as the house settles down and I can’t hear anyone awake, I turn my laptop off and get comfy in my bed.

When I turn to face my bedside table, a text is flashing on my phone from Reid.

*Come to your back door*