6.2

Jaycee

When Adrienne walked into history I immediately noticed the dark circles under her eyes. She walked past my desk but not before tapping her fingers on it. I watched her sit in her seat then put her head down. I couldn't tell if something was bothering her or she didn't get enough sleep. When class ended she basically forced herself to get up and walk out. I caught up to her outside the door.

"What's wrong with you?"

She groaned but didn't answer.

"I don't speak zombie"

"I wish I didn't leave my house this morning"

"Why?"

"I'm tired"

"Yeah I see the bags under your eyes"

She shot me a look. "How many hours did you get last night"

"Ha ha ha like 4... maybe 3"

"Why?"

"I don't know Jay"

"You're grumpy but I'm not. I walked you to class now see you at lunch" i did the snap and point thing before walking away towards my class which I'll now be late for.

By the time lunch came she looked even more exhausted. She sat next to me on the bench before putting her bag down.

"Someone please tell me that the rain will stop and my day will get better. Please" she begged.

"The rain will stop and your day will get better" me and Cj  lied.

It was supposed to rain for the rest of the day.

"Thanks for the lie guys. I needed that"

She put her head on my shoulder which caught me off guard until I relaxed myself.

"Can I borrow this?"

I laughed at 'borrow this' but I'm not an asshole so I said. "Yeah. I mean you already are"

"You're the best"

"Hey" Cj glared at Adrienne.

"I love you Ceej"

She rolled her eyes "Mhm"

"Say it back hoe"

"No tell it to your new best"

"Baby stop playing. I'll make it up to you later"

"With ribs?"

. "You want ribs? tonight?"

"I been wanting ribs for the longest man. Like some good healthy ribs covered is barbecue sauce"

Adrienne groaned. "Fine only because now I want ribs too"

"Super lit"

I'm definitely stopping by for some ribs. I was gonna order Chinese tonight too.

***

When I got home my parents were already arguing. I threw my book bag on the bed before closing my door behind me. I connected my phone up to my speaker before starting my homework. Once that was done they were still arguing. I disconnected my phone before walking out my room. They were in their room now so they weren't paying me any mind. I walked out the front door and stood there for a minute. After I was calmed down I went and knocked on Adri's door.

It opened slowly and she stood there in a towel. "Come in let me just go get dressed" she hit a jog to her room.

I laughed  before closing the door behind me and went to sit on the couch. Once she was dressed she came back out.

"What's up?" She sat on the couch and pulled the comforter up.

I shrugged. "Nothing much"

"Mhm. I haven't started cooking yet so there must be a reason why you're here so early"

"Honestly. I don't want to be around my parents right now"

"Parents?" She was obviously shocked but that understandable. I don't talk about my dad so how would she know? "I mean I just only seen your mom. I didn't know"

"It's cool. He's always working so he's barely around"

She nodded.

"So yeah"

She didn't continue the conversation which I was thankful for. She laid down and looked at me.

"So a comedy then?"

I nodded.

**

Adrienne fell asleep but I started getting hungry. I went to the kitchen and opened the fridge. I noticed that I ate most of her left overs then I looked at the ribs on the counter. I mean it's the least I could do right? I got my stuff ready before getting to work.

*

I noticed Adri come and lean on the doorway and watched me. I stirred the barbecue sauce before lowering the flame and checking the mashed potatoes.

"I can feel you staring. I started getting hungry and I already ate most of your left overs the other days so I started cooking myself. I hope you don't mind"

She shook her head. "I just haven't had someone cook for me for a while"

"Well i prefer your cooking so I probably won't do this often"

She sat on a stool out the way. "I didn't know you cook"

"Yeah I know a little something something. Mom started teaching me when I was younger that men need to know how to cook as well. She'd say if you're dealing with a crazy woman and you let her cook there's a chance she'll poison you" I put the spoon down and checked her reaction.

She laughed as I predicted. She's always laughing. "Did she really say that?"

"Nah but she did say a man who cooks for his woman once in a while holds longer and stronger relationships"

"That's sounds more like her. If I'm cooking everyday I'll get tired so it'd be nice for my man to be like baby go take a nap or something i gotchu"

Was that supposed to be a guy's voice?

I shook my head but smiled. "No guy sounds like that I hope but I get it"

She rolled her eyes. "So when will it be ready?"

"When Cj gets here"

"Where is she? She'd usually be running here for ribs"

"We don't have any more juice or ice cream"

"Mm"

She watched me cook in silence for a while.

"Alright I got you're shit. Where's the food?"

"It was waiting for the juice but it's ready now" i starting serving the plates.

I served Cj first then Adrienne.

"It's good?"

"Mm"

I carried the cups of juice out and noticed the girls digging into their plates. "So it was good?"

"Mm"

I put the cups down on the table before going to get my plate.

"I need another nap now" she's always tired or sleeping.

"How many naps are you going to take?"

"Until it's June and schools over"

"The year is almost over. Just hold out for 3 more months"

"That's not fast enough"

"You gotta deal with it babay" I don't know why they came out but too late to take it back.

She pouted before saying. "I guessssss"