Chapter 32

"Why didn't we do this earlier?" Hiccup yelled. Jack smiled as he flew in the wind. His hair whipped around. It had been ten hours since they lost Merida.

"Because it's quicker to walk then it is for me to take three other people!" Jack yelled back. Rapunzel held onto Jack. She was now on his back and was holding around his neck. Hiccup still held onto Rapunzel's hair for dear life. Hiccup frowned. He had forgotten about Merida disappearing. His heart dropped.

"What's wrong?" Rapunzel asked. She had seen Hiccup's face fall.

"I just- forgot about Merida and- I kind of feel bad." Hiccup admitted. He looked down again.

"Well, I have been looking out for her since we left." Rapunzel said. Hiccup looked back up at Rapunzel.

"Really?" He asked.

"Yeah, but I haven't seen her." Rapunzel said. She gave an awkward smile. Hiccup reassuringly smiled back. Jack laughed to himself.

"What are you laughing at?" Hiccup asked. Jack smiled even more.

"By the looks of it, there seems to be a small red headed girl, lying on the ground. Now, it looks like someone I know, she's a bit crazy but that's probably her." Jack said. Hiccup smiled excitedly. "You may have heard of her, her name's Merida." Jack said.

"Well I guess we better meet her." Rapunzel said jokingly. Jack swooped down towards Merida. He laughed as he became faster. Rapunzel cheered as Hiccup screamed. Jack slowed down and landed gently. Rapunzel let go of him. A loud thud came from behind Rapunzel.

"Ow!" Hiccup said. He was sprawled on the ground. He got up and patted himself down. The looked at Merida. Her face was white and plain. Rapunzel frowned.

"This doesn't look right to me." Rapunzel said.

"Same." Hiccup said.

"What do you mean?" Jack asked. Rapunzel leant down. She put her fingers near Merida nose. Her breathing was slow.

"If she was asleep she would have some other expression. And her breathing is way too slow." Rapunzel said. Hiccup nodded. Rapunzel grabbed Jack's hands.

"What are you doing?" Jack asked. Rapunzel shushed him as she placed his hands on Merida's face. Merida didn't react.

"She should wake up." Rapunzel said.

"Hey guys." Hiccup said. They both looked at him. "There's a lot of black sand."

"Jack help me wrap my hair around her chest." Rapunzel said. Jack lifted Merida from under her arms. Rapunzel started wrapping her hair around. She took a deep breath.

"Are you going to..." Jack asked quietly. Rapunzel nodded.

"Flower gleam and glow,

Let your power shine,

Make the clock reverse,

Bring back what once was mine.

Heal what has been hurt,

Change fates design,

Save what has been lost,

Bring back what once was mine,

What once was mine." She sang. Her hair glowed brightly. She kept her eyes shut. Suddenly Merida gasped but didn't wake up. Jack placed his hands on Merida's cheeks. Rapunzel unwrapped her hair before Merida sat upright. She panted and looked at everyone. Hiccup hugged her. He quickly released. Her chest felt tight.

"What happened?" She asked dazed. She looked around. "Where are the nightmares?"

"They're not here." Jack said. Merida cringed as she gripped her chest.

"What's wrong?" Rapunzel asked.

"My chest, it really hurts." She said.

"But, it should've healed." Rapunzel said.

"Unless it's too broken to fully heal." Hiccup said. He frowned. Merida coughed. She shakily stood up. Rapunzel and Hiccup helped her stand.

"What were you doing out here anyway?" Jack asked. Rapunzel gave him a look. "What? Too soon?"

"No, it's fine." Merida said. She lightly pushed Hiccup and Rapunzel away. She tried to stand up straight. "I left because you guys didn't trust me, and you still probably don't."

"You've got that right." Jack said. Rapunzel hit him in the shoulder.

"So I didn't stay where I wasn't wanted. So I'm still planning on leaving." Merida said.

"But you could die!" Hiccup said.

"You almost did." Rapunzel said.

"No, I would of lived." Merida said.

"No, you wouldn't of. Trust me, I've seen that before." Jack said. His face was plain.

"I doubt it." Merida said.

"The Sandman died, because of Pitch. Pitch poisoned Sandy with the same stuff and by the looks of it, whatever he gave you was a lot worse." Jack argued.

"But the Sandman is alive now. And anyway, It wasn't even Pitch who attacked me." Merida said.

"Sandy is alive because the children started to believe again but you have no way of coming back." Jack said. "And if it wasn't Pitch, then who was it?" Jack said. He was in Merida's face.

"It was two horses." Merida said.

"Two nightmares, they belong to Pitch! How could you be so ignorant?" Jack yelled. Merida glared at him.

"Jack! would that mean that she isn't a bad guy?" Rapunzel said.

"What?" Jack asked. He looked at Rapunzel with confusion.

"Finally, someone who doesn't think I'm bad!" Merida said.

"Why would Pitch attack her if she was helping him?" Rapunzel said. Hiccup smiled. He stepped closer towards Merida.

"I don't know, maybe because it's Pitch we're talking about?" Jack said.

"Jack! Why don't you just believe me that Merida isn't the bad guy." Rapunzel said. Jack's heart suddenly dropped. All breath left him. He felt horrible.

"Fine." He said. "I believe you."

"Thank you." Rapunzel said. She hugged Jack. Jack felt warm. He hugged back.