Chapter 2

Merida was walking in the woods. She was lost in thought. She hadn't paid attention to where she was going. Suddenly she heard a high pitched laugh. She headed towards where it was coming from. She prepared her bow. She hid against a tree when she reached where he heard the laugh come from. She leant to see what was there. There was a guy in black with dark grey skin and slick black hair. Further away was a lady with black curly hair and a red dress. Merida assumed they were talking to each other. Suddenly the old lady threw her hand out. Black sand came from her hand and flew out towards the guy in black. But the sand stopped halfway as if it had hit something. Suddenly she heard a thump but couldn't see where it came from. The two figures laughed and headed towards each other. They stopped in the middle where the sand had stopped. The pair were both looking down at something. All Merida could see was a stick. Merida rushed to a closer tree. She could hear them.

"Should we kill him?" The female asked. She raised her hand. The male moved his hand to stop her.

"No, we'll leave him to tell the Guardians." The male said. "His time will come."

"Who?" Merida whispered. Suddenly the lady looked up towards Merida. Merida hid back against the tree.

"What?" The man asked. The lady shook her head.

"Nothing, I just thought- it was nothing." She said. Merida breathed a sigh of relief. The pair walked off. Merida waited until the coast was clear. She rushed to where the pair just were. There was nothing except an odd looking staff. Merida picked it up but dropped it in an instant. It was cold. Suddenly she saw a giant shadow on the ground. She squealed as she stepped back. Merida quickly looked up. It looked like a giant bird. She realised it wasn't a bird at all but a-

"Dragon!" She screamed. She drew out an arrow and aimed at the beast as it landed. A boy jumped off of the beast and held his arms out.

"Whoa whoa! Calm down. I'm not going to hurt you." He said. The dragon was black. It growled at Merida.

"It's not you I'm worried about! It's him!" She said. Her strong Scottish accent kicked in.

"Watch out!" The boy yelled. Merida looked behind her and saw nothing.

"For what?" Merida asked, her bow still aimed at the boy.

"You're about to step on someone." He said.

"No I'm not. There's no one there." Merida said. The dragon spat some sort of fire ball at Merida's feet. She jumped and fell backwards landing on her backside. The boy turned to the dragon.

"Toothless no!" He said as he put his hands on the dragon's mouth.

"Toothless?" Merida exclaimed.

"That's his name. And I'm Hiccup." Merida snickered. "Thank you very much." Hiccup said sarcastically.

"Well, Hiccup, I'm Merida." Merida said. Hiccup walked towards the girl but stopped in front of her. He leaned down and looked at the ground.

"You almost stepped on him." Merida frowned.

"On who? No one's there." She said.

"On him. Do you not see him? White hair, pale skin, blue jumper. Currently unconscious." Merida shook her head.

"I don't see him." She said.

"Wait, he's waking up." Hiccup said. Merida rolled her eyes.

"No one is there." She said. Hiccup ignored her.

"Calm down. I'm Hiccup and this is Merida. We're here to help." Hiccup explained to thin air.

"I would if he was real." Merida almost shouted.

"Oh, okay." Hiccup said. "You can't see him because you don't believe in him."

"In who, Hiccup?" Merida asked.

"In Jack Frost." Hiccup said as he stood up. He looked as if he was helping someone up.

"That's because he's not real." She said frustratedly.

"He'll prove it." Hiccup said.

"How? Is he going to make it snow or something?" Just as Merida said that it started to snow. Merida gaped as it snowed. Hiccup smiled. Merida shook her head. "Fluke!" She said. Suddenly a snowball hit her face. She wiped her face and looked around. Suddenly a boy appeared. He had white hair, pale skin and a blue jumper.

"Hi." He said. Merida jumped back.

"But- you weren't there a second ago." She said. The boy with the white hair laughed.

"That's because you didn't believe in me a second ago." He smiled.

"So wait, you're Jack Frost?" He nodded. Merida almost fell over again. Jack floated behind Merida. Merida gasped. Jack landed and picked up his staff. It glowed a faint blue.

"Did either of you guys see what happened?" Jack asked. Merida nodded. She was about to tell him what she saw but Hiccup started first.

"There was some guy dressed in black with dark grey skin and some other lady dressed in red. They attacked you and you became unconscious." Hiccup said.

"What did they say afterwords?" Jack asked.

"I couldn't hear them." Jack frowned.

"They said that they'd let you tell the Guardians or something." Merida said.

"Oh great." Jack said. He jumped into the air. "I got to go!"

"Wait! let us come with you!" Hiccup yelled. Jack smirked.

"Only if you can keep up." He said. Hiccup hopped onto Toothless. He held out his hand to Merida.

"You coming?" He asked. Merida hesitated.

"Yeah." She said she ignored Hiccups hand and hopped on herself. Toothless growled quietly. Toothless jumped up and sped off after Jack. Within seconds they caught up to Jack.

"Keeping up, man we could beat you." Hiccup teased.

"Why don't you?" Jack asked. Hiccup frowned.

"I don't know where we're going." Jack laughed. He sped up. Jack laughed. never had he raced like this.