Chapter Thirty-Nine: Day 63

Liam

"Hey Allie, how are you? Your mom just told me that there hasn't been any real news from the doctors yet. They did a few more tests, but everything still looks great which just means that we'll be playing the waiting game some more. What else is new? Let me think. The weather has been ok. We're in the middle of fall now. The leaves are all kinds of awesome colors right now. I wish you could see it. I know how much you love fall. I'm sure you'll be sad to have missed it all.

"Well, I'm kind of stalling, aren't I? Remember I told you that I've been talking to the school psychologist for a few weeks now, and that she scheduled a double session for me yesterday? I'm not sure I've ever talked that much in such a short time. I was mentally exhausted when we were done. Anyway, so she wanted to talk about you. It really confused me at the beginning, because we've talked about you plenty of times before.

"She wanted me to tell her some more about you, anything I can think of. So I did exactly that. For the first time in a while I was just happy talking about you. I wasn't feeling sad, but just glad to have had so many years of this great friendship with you. I could tell that she enjoyed listening to the stories of us. She was smiling when I was smiling, and laughing when I was laughing.

"Then came questions about girlfriends and why I haven't really had one yet, and how exactly that makes me feel. Then more talk about you and describing my detailed emotions for you. Surprisingly it didn't make me feel as uncomfortable to talk about it as I would have expected. And then came the real question. I could tell by the way she looked at me that this was it, that this question was the one she'd been waiting to ask me this whole time.

"Do I love you? Well, stupid thing to ask me, isn't it? Of course I love you. You're my best friend. There isn't anyone else like you out there.

"But then she asked me if I was also in love with you? I'm not sure how long I stared at her once that question had finally registered in my brain, but it was for a long time. She told me we'd talk some more about it next time and sent me home.

"Now Allie, what do you think? That question is all I've been able to think about over the past twenty-four hours, and I think I've figured out my answer.

"Allie? Allie? Did you...just...your hand..did you just? Nurse, I need someone in here. Right now!"

*****

Now aaaaahhhh, what do you think? Let me hear it. 🤷

Hope you liked it. You guys are the best. Your continued support blows me away. Thank you so very much!! ❤❤❤