Chapter 18: Low Key

Adam's POV

Red took us to the third floor. I have never been in it, he sat us down at a table surrounded by bookshelves. "Adam." He started to say." I know you are trying to do what is best for Cory, but I highly suggest to not get him overly blood thirsty." Red said.

"Uhh what is that suppose to mean?" I asked.

"The only reason why I am telling you this, is because I trust in you to keep them under check. You know, there powers are fueled by darkness, well that darkness can easily corrupt and we'll, control the user, causing them to kill mercilessly. That is what started to happen to Cory, it's corrupting him. That is what has been happening to Alex." She nodded at him.

"What do you mean?" I said.

"Explain Alex." Red said.

"When it takes over, you hear a voice telling you what to do, the darkness,your vision becomes blurry, you can't  control any of your actions. It is almost like a dream, you see the faces of those you kill, those who begged for mercy, those who were helpless to defend themselves and you watch as they all die in front of you. It's like a dream but it isn't. It is a memory." She said closing her eyes.

"Has this happened before?" I questioned.

"Yes." Red answered. "It was years ago, it was the first time we realised the necklace of darkness was gone. A hole village was  burned to the ground. Then another one one and another one." Red said.

"It was my fault. I couldn't control the darkness, and it controlled me. I killed all those people." Alex trailed off looking at her hands.

"We need you to keep an eye on them both,I trust in you to not tell the others, they will become worried, and won't trust them if they knew." Red said in a serious tone looking at me straight in the eyes.

I nodded. "I will do my best to keep it under low key, and keep them under check. So is there a way to, ya know stop it."

"No, you can only ignore the voices,but eventually you might give in. Cory, you need to learn to control it, it is newer for you, just do everything in your power not to give in. And until you two have that under control, I suggest stay away from the others. Shelby especially."

"Why?" I asked

"They all use light magic, Shelby has the strongest light magic out of all them, and darkness wants to snuff out the light, so the voices will be the strongest, most persuasive around her Shelby, seeing she is life." Red said.

" So it's my job to keep the others away until Cory gets the voices under control. Got it." I said.

"You are dismissed now." Red said. We all got up, and walked away.

We went to second floor. I looked at the hall way I was going to take them into my room, but Shelby's room was right across from there. I looked at Cory. "Can we go in your room?" I asked. He didn't look like he really wanted to.

"We can stay in mine." Alex said. She walked around to the other side of the hall. Her room was across from Cory's. Next to it, was a room now occupied by Uni and ARG.

She opened the door, "I didn't have much time to decorate. But I guess I can start while you are here." She said then sat on the bed criss cross. She closed her eyes then started mumbling something. The ceiling slowly turned black,then bright starts showed up dancing on the roof.

"Wow." Cory said in amazment.

"How did you do that?" I asked.

"Dark magic, we get a lot of our energy from the stars, so why not view them all day long. Took a while to learn, but a was able to do it over time." Alex said with a smile. Me and Cory sat on the couch awalkwardly. Alex went back to closing her eyes.

"So am I just suppose to sit here and watch you two?" I asked.

"Pretty much." Cory said blandly.

"Boring." I said. Cory then grunted and walked out the room. Through the other side of the door I could hear muffled high pitched talking. I ran out the room, and saw Shelby talking to Cory, who was desperately trying to go inside his room. I stood in between Cory and Shelby.

"Hi Shumpy! Sorry can't talk right now, please leave a message after the beep. BEEEEP." Is said and pulled Cory back in Alex's room. I slammed the door shut. When I looked over the bed, I saw Alex wasn't there.

"Great, assign me to the only two people who can teleport!" I muttered. "Help me fine her."

Shelby's POV

I just had wanted to apologize to Cory for, almost killing him, but Adam had interrupted. I now walked into the living room, and Alex was there.

"You Adam, and Cory were in your room." I said. She just nodded at me with a grin. A grin I have seen to many times on Cory's face, when we would fight. I sat down awkwardly next to her. She started shaking but stopped. She then started mumbling stuff to her self like, "Shhhhhh. No. We can't. Stop it." Then she stood up, and sat back down. It was getting really weird now. Cory came running down stairs.

"Have you seen-" He stopped himself then looked at me and turned around. He started walking away.

"Hey stop." I shouted. He turned around and faced me.