16. Best Friend Duties

Violet

Taking a sip of my coffee, I placed my cup back on the smooth wooden tables of Starbucks beside the scattered papers of homework. Instead of going home, I decided to past my time at Starbucks to finish my homework for the week.

Since there were only a few more papers to get done, I stopped for a break and scrolled through Facebook on my phone. My break time was interrupted when I heard a call out from the handoff area.

"Grande Chocolate Chip Frappucino for Chaz." The barista calls out getting my attention with the customer's name.

I look up from my phone only to see Chaz getting his drink from the handoff area. He pulls off the paper from the green plastic straw and throws the waste into the garbage can beside him. Just when I thought he wouldn't notice me, Chaz looks back just before he could open the glass doors to leave the store.

He walks towards my direction and makes himself comfortable as he sits down across the table from me. "Hey Violet, what's up?"

"Oh you know, working on homework, nothing new really? What brings you here?"

"I just wanted to buy a drink before I head out to the skatepark to meet the guys." When he mentions the guys, I automatically figured out he was referring to Ryan and Justin. "Do you want to come with?"

Taken back by his offer, I shook my head no. If this were a scenario months ago, no one would even imagine Chaz talking to me. "I have a lot of work to do and skateboarding is not really my thing."

Chaz looks disappointed with my answer. "Okay, well maybe next time?"

I nod. "I'll try buddy."

"VI, why are you ignoring Justin?" Chaz asks.

The question doesn't surprise me because I had a feeling one of his friends would ask me one day; I just didn't think it would be this soon.

"I'm not," I lied straight up. "We have every class together so I wouldn't say I'm ignoring him."

"Yeah but you don't necessarily say hello to him either."

"I do say hello to Justin." I answer defensively.

Chaz gives me an obvious look. "You know what I'm talking about."

I sigh in defeat. "Remember when Bryce made that emergency meeting announcement the other day at school?" Chaz nods. "I saw Justin kind of sad when I got to class after the announcement. He never told me what was up but I just settled with the thought that he was down about being out of the team you know? I couldn't help but think it was my fault."

"You feel guilty because you think you're the reason Justin got kicked out?" Chaz asks.

"You got it. Being with him and just seeing how nice he is to me doesn't help the slightest bit; the guilt eating me alive."

"Do you want to know something?" Chaz ask me. I stared at him as I waited for an answer. "Justin does miss hockey." I knew it. "But he also said that there are more important things now for him."

"What's that supposed to mean?"

Chaz laughs. "Come on VI, for a genius, you still don't get it?" I look at him dumbfounded. "Justin likes you."

That was the last thing I wanted to hear. Sure he was sweet to me and he really took care of me for the past few days but I didn't think he would have some sort of feelings for me. This was Justin Bieber we were talking about; he was either a natural flirt or just a really good actor. The kisses and the sweet gestures never had an impact on me even if I was the one who started a few of them when we were together.