20. Welcome to the Family

Justin

I help my mom cut some vegetables for the pasta I had requested her to make for dinner. Violet was coming over today to help me study for Chemistry so I wanted to make her feel at home. Since I didn't know how to cook, I asked my mom to cook a good dinner for us later.

"So Justin, tell me about this girl?" My mom speaks starting a conversation as she gets busy with boiling the pasta.

"Remember Violet?" I ask her.

"Oh yes, she was such a sweetheart. It's unfortunate we couldn't talk much the last time she was here."

"You might see her around often because she's going to help me study till the end of the school year."

My mom looks up from her cooking and smiles at me. "That's nice to hear Justin, that you're trying to improve at school."

"Baby steps mom. I'm trying my best. Violet makes me want to improve myself you know? I can't keep slacking off while she's acing all of her classes. She deserves to have the best in her life."

"You really like her."

"I do mom and I don't want anything to go wrong with her. I can't help but think, what if I screw up? What if I let her slip away too just like what I did with my fans and with Selena." I remember getting so comfortable with the fame that I just took everything for granted. I messed things up with Selena before and I didn't want that to happen with Violet this time.

"Honey, trials are normal in life so I can't assure you the relationship you want with Violet will be perfect but you'll have me, Scooter, the crew and everyone who cares for you to help you out. We're not going to let you make the same mistake again." My mom assures me.

Before I could respond, the bell went of indicating someone was at the door. "That's probably her. Okay mom just keep it quiet. She doesn't know you're here and about dinner It's a surprise for later."

"She won't even know that I'm here." My mom tells me before kissing me on the cheek for good luck.

Leaving my mom in the kitchen, I ran to the front door and opened it. Violet stood in front of me, wearing her usual cartoon t-shirt, a pair of denim jeans and some Converse. Her hair was tied up away from her face and she wore her usual glasses to finish off her look.

"Hey, I'm glad you could make it." I greet her.

"I'm glad I could even make it. Your security didn't believe me we were friends and thought I was one of your crazy fans." Violet tells me.

"Oops, I guess I forgot to tell them that I was expecting a friend. I am so sorry!" I apologized. This was so embarassing.

Violet glares at me but laughs anyway. I let her in and lead the way up to my room. I leave the door open so Violet doesn't get the wrong idea that I might do something.

We settle for my bed then take out all our reading materials that we were going to need.

"So we're just going to run through a few terminologies then I'll explain to you how to apply them to the equations. Do you think you can handle it?" Violet asks me.

"I hope so," I mutter under my breath. Studying was never my thing but for Violet, I needed to start making it my new habit.

I intently wrote down notes as Violet explains a lesson in chemistry. After a few tips and techniques of making study easier, I managed to get the lessons in my head. I even managed to get a few problem-solving correct after applying what I had learned from Violet.

A couple of hours had passed and I already felt exhausted. I stare at Violet with hand supporting my chin and my elbows placed on my lap.

"What is first step of making uranium oxide? Elaborate the process in terms of a chemical equation?" I hear Violet say snapping me out of my trance.