Chapter Sixteen: Something Good, Something Bad, A Bit Of Both

Music is "Divergent Score Suite" by M83 & Junkie XL from the Divergent OST.

Picture #1 is Aldis Hodge as Cloak and Beth Riesgraf as Dagger.

· ~ · ~ · ~ · ~ ·

"I look around, and you know what I see? Losers! We've all lost something, but life's giving us a chance."

"To do what?"

"Something good, something bad, a bit of both."

- Peter Quill, Star-Lord, and Drax the Destroyer

· ~ · ~ · ~ · ~ ·

CHAPTER SIXTEEN

Gamora and I land with ease. As soon as we do, Groot smiles and walks over to her, pulling her up to him with his limps. "I am Groot," he says in a deep voice, as he always does.

Gamora rolls her eyes and pats his shoulder, saying nothing. Kitty helps Peter hobble over to the emerald assassin, and he tries to hug her, but she pulls out a knife from her side pocket and points it at him. "I am fine, Quill. No need for sentimentality."

Peter pushes the knife aside and hugs her anyways; she groans in complaint but hugs him back anyways. "Just shut up for one second, alright?" He pulls back; she nods. "I'm glad you're alright."

Gamora nods again, and the West Coast Avengers hurry to our sides. Clint looks at me with a puzzled gaze, and Bobbi asks, "Who the hell are you?"

I brush off my hands from the debris of the Milano escape pod, answering, "I don't think that's any way to talk to someone who just saved someone's life." I see Pietro and Elaine from the corner of my eye in the edge of the crowd. "You're welcome, by the way."

Kitty interjects, "Of course. Thank you, for saving her."

"Uhhh... does anyone even know who 'her' is?" Scott asks, changing from his small size back to normal. He holds his hands up in a surrendering motion as Gamora gives him a glare. "I mean, no offense, Ma'am... Miss... Lady? But who are you," he points to Groot, "what is that," he points to Rocket, "will it bite me," then to Drax, "nice tats," and lastly to the man I don't recognize, "and what kind of workout routine do you do? Lift a few tires or the whole damn truck?"

I stifle a laugh, covering my mouth with the back of my hand at Scott's sarcastic remarks about the Guardians of the Galaxy. Rocket pulls out a stun gun from his back holster, pointing it at Scott's face. "Watch it, slick! I'll make quick work of you if you call me an 'it' again."

Peter Quill rolls his eyes, still leaning on Kitty for support as he pushes Rocket's gun down. "We're the Guardians of the Galaxy. We're not from around here. Well, I am, but I haven't been to Terra since the 80s."

"Terra?" Bobbi asks with an eyebrow raised.

"Earth," I interject. "Terra is Earth, right?"

Peter looks at me skeptically. "Yeah, but how--?"

"--Um, guys!" Katie calls from over the Milano rubble. "I don't know how much longer I'm gonna be able to hold this water away!"

Clint points to Scott. "Get the ship out of the Marina." As Ant-Man leaves, changing to his larger form, Clint turns to the rest of us. "The rest of you are coming with us to the West Coast base. I want to hear why you're here and why you've ruined a perfectly good Marina. I had a boat here, man! It's on fire now, so you owe me an explanation. Go with Mockingbird, Shadowcat, and Tigra."