Reasons or excuses

Zosia eventually drove them back home and they cuddled up on the sofa. They were watching a movie when penny appeared back from court. (she had been staying with them.)
she came in and stood in front of the TV before saying "what did you do that for?"
Ollie didn't know what to say, he just got angry. He didn't have any other reasons and he definitely didn't have an excuse. He just sat there not really knowing what his sister wanted from him.
"Well?" Penny asked again
Ollie whispered "sorry." But he knew penny wanted more than that. "I was angry. He'd been saying things like that all day and he was getting on my nerves. It was the way he talked about you it was wrong and disgusting and it made me wanna punch him a million times over. I yelled at him once before you came in and the judge told me to be quiet, Zosia had tried to calm me down and it worked for a while but he just made me explode. He talks as if he's done nothing wrong and everything is fine. I know what I went through with him and how I never felt I got anything out of it, I just want to make sure you get something and he gets locked up. But I'm sorry I shouted. I overreacted and I know I need to control myself around him and I will I promise.  I've got you back now and he isn't coming any where near any of us ever ever again."