Chapter 20

"Everything I said that day was true," I put my head in my hands. "I never lied to you when we were married. I may not have told you about being blackmailed, but I never lied."

"You never told me about it. The police told me you said it was because you didn't want me to worry. Why would you do that?"

I looked back up and glanced at him before looking back down. I couldn't stand looking into his bright blue eyes. It was one of the things I loved about him. I don't know how to explain this to him, but I knew I need to try to.

"I loved you that's why," I sadly admitted it to him.

"Still, why would you do that for me? I admit I was terrible to you. I was terrible to you throughout our marriage. You knew that if the pictures got out at the time, I would have been ruined. But instead of using that information to destroy me, you protected me and you keep that from me," he shook his head like he couldn't believe I would do that for him.

"I know you think I'm a bad person but unlike what you think I'm not that terrible of a person..." he didn't even let me finish.

"What do you want me to think of you? You were the one who cheated on me first. I loved you and gave you everything. So excuse me for not thinking you're an angel!" he stood up yelling at me.

I sat down and stared at him. From past experiences, I knew I had to give him time to calm down from all that anger. He eventually calmed down and took a seat. He took a couple of deep breathes before looking at me again.

"Are you done with your fit?" I drunk from my glass and when he nodded I continued.

"I never cheated on you..." he was going to cut me off but I raised my hand to stop him and repeated, "I never cheated on you, I never did. I stood by your side loyal to you as you went and cheated on me over and over again. While you brought girls home, I worked my ass off to pay the blackmailer off. I paid the blackmailer off with my own money. You came back later and accused me of stealing from you."

"What did you expect? I found out you paid David half a million dollars and that was at the same time two million went missing from my company," He started to yell again but quickly calmed down.

I was now the one who was raising my voice, "I expected you to believe in me and to trust me! I expected you to stand by me to protect me. You never did that though. You were so quick to blame me, to blame your ex-wife."

"I didn't know what to think. You disappeared at random times. You came home at late hours claiming you were working. Try to see it from my perspective. I had enough money for both of us to last a lifetime and you were claiming you needed to work late. It didn't make sense."

"Okay, stop and listen to me. Listen to my side of the story. My side of our marriage," I said because this back and forth thing was not working.

I leaned further into the couch knowing this was going to be a long story. We needed to figure out how our past went so wrong.