Chapter 8

*Eponines POV*

**One Month Later**

I fell asleep in the meeting again. I always did though, so it didn't matter. My mother on the other hand stayed awake and alert for the whole two to three hours, which was very impressive.

I felt someone shake my shoulder slightly and raised my head off the table. I found myself staring into Enjolras icy blue eyes.

"I fell asleep again, didn't I?" I said, smiling at him.

"Yes, you did. But if it makes you feel any better, so did Gavroche and Courfeyrac." He told me, helping me to my feet.

"Well, it sort of does. But anyway, how did it go?" I asked. We started to walk home with mama carrying a sleeping Gavroche behind us.

Enjolras was telling me all of the places where they had decided to build their barricades. I nodded along but really I didn't know what he was talking about. I caught a few words such as Café Musain and the like but nothing really stuck in my mind.

At last we reached the house, which was good because I was ready to fall asleep on the doorstep. Enjolras must have noticed, because he opened the door and helped me upstairs to bed.

I got into my night gown while he went to the bathroom and then I walked in to Mama who was putting Gavroche to bed. From what I could see, Gavroche had a slightly red nose. He would have a cold in the morning.

"Hello, mama. I came to say goodnight." I said softly.

"Thank you, my darling." Mama smiled at me.

"Perhaps Gavroche could use another blanket. I think he may have a cold coming along." I said.

"Poor one. I hope it won't be anything too serious." She replied, checking his temperature. I finally got up and walked to the other side of the bed to Mama, who was singing Gav the lullaby she always sang to me when I was younger.

"Good night, Mama. Sleep well." I said, kissing her cheek.

"Good night, Eponine. I love you, darling." She said giving me a light hug.

"Sleep well." I said again, going out and closing the door behind me. I was very tired, but I didn't feel like going to bed just yet. My mind was swimming with thoughts and ideas had to clear my head a bit.

I walked back to my room and stood gazing out of the window, lost in my thoughts. That is, until I felt strong arms rest upon my waist, pulling me into his chest.

Turning my head around, I was met with the icy blue eyes of Enjolras, yet again.

"Hello, Mademoiselle." He said, smiling down at me. I gave him a small smile in return.

"Good evening, Monsiour." I said, giving him a quick peck on the lips.

"What is a beautiful Mademoiselle, such as yourself, doing at such an hour?" He asked.

"Oh, Monsiour, you are such a flirt." I giggled.

"But you love me."

"Yes, I do. I love you very much." I agreed. He started to sway back and forth slightly as we stared out at the dark streets below.

"How is Gavroche and your mother?" He asked.

"They're both fine. I think Gavroche has a small cold." I replied.

"Poor thing." Enjolras said, resting his chin on my neck.

"So, when were you planning to have your revolution?" I asked him. I needed time to prepare for any loss that may occur in that time.

"Well, we're not entirely sure. We have decided to wait until General Lumarque is dead. He was a great man for the people, always speaking out for the poor." Enjolras said.

"Lumarque? But he is sick. He could go at any time." I said, now frightened.

"I know, but Joly is his doctor and he said we have a few months before he goes." Enjolras said, trying to calm me down. He walked over to the bed and sat down. I continued to look out the window and sighed.

"How long?" I finally said.

"Joly said that Lumarque will be gone by the end of June, maybe early July." He sighed.

"That's only four months. Are you sure you will have everything ready in time?" I asked. Four months didn't sound long enough. Enjolras shook his head and opened his arms out for me. I walked over and sat on his lap and we just stared out the window again.

"I don't know. We've started to gather ammunition so we should have enough by the time the revolution comes around." He said.

"Enjolras, I'm scared about this whole thing." I told him.

"Eponine, there's nothing to be scared of. With any luck, you'll have nothing to do with all of this." Enjolras said.

"But what about you and Joly and Marius and everyone else. You all have a part in this." I said, on the verge of tears, yet again.

"I know, I know. But you must not fret. Everything will be fine. I promise." He said.

"How can you promise that, Enjolras?"

"I don't know. But I will do everything within my power to keep you safe." He replied. "Now, let's get some rest. Marius will be free tomorrow and we can go and see him, if you want."

"Alright then. But what about Mama and Gavroche?" I asked as I pulled back the sheets.

"They can come with us if they want too." Enjolras said. I got into the bed next to him and he wrapped his arms around me.

"I'm still scared, you know." I said.

"Eponine, my love, you have no need to be scared. We have weeks until the talks of revolution will even begin." He said.

"I know, I know. I'll try not to fret over it much longer." I said. I could see him smiling in the darkness.

"Thank you Eponine. I'll tell you when it's time to fret." He chuckled.

"Okay. Goodnight." I said closing my eyes. He kissed the top of my head.

"Good night Eponine."