Chapter 35

*Enjolras POV*

"Enjolras." Someone called, poking my face. "Wake up."

"What?" I said, lifting my head off the pillow. I found myself staring into Gavroches large, brown eyes.

"Morning." He said.

"Gav? What are you doing here?" I muttered.

"He's making sure you don't sleep through your wedding day, Apollo." Marius said, appearing in the doorway. I sat up, rubbing the sleep out of my eyes.

"Oh yeah. The wedding." I said sleepily.

"Come on. Get up and get dressed. We have some stuff to do outside." Marius said. "Your clothes are on the chair. Tell us when you're ready."

"Okay." I said. He grabbed Gavroche by the shoulder and pulled him out of the room. The shutters were already open, revealing a very sunny day.

I went over to my wash stand and splashed some cold water in my face, before turning to my clothes and getting dressed.

"Enjolras, are you decent?" Gavroche called.

"Yes, you can come in." I replied, walking over to me nightstand and picking up the frame sitting on it. Marius, Joly and Gavroche all walked in.

"Oh, is that the,Um..." Joly said, looking at the frame.

"Yeah. It's the original register of names of Les Amis." I finished. "I thought it would go well with the candles."

"Where did you find it?" Gavroche asked, looking over the names.

"I found it in my pocket last year, just after the revolution." I explained.

"Did you keep the clothes you wore?" Joly asked.

"Of course I did. I really liked that coat." I replied. We all laughed.

"Here, by the way." Marius said, holding out one of the blue, white and red rosettes we wore last year. I thanked him, and pinned it to my jacket.

"We should probably start going." Joly said. "If you want to light all of the candles in time."

We all began to file out of the room, closing he door behind us. The wedding would start in about an hour, but we had a few last minute touches to make.

"Monsiour Enjolras. You're awake very early." One of the maids said.

"Yes, well, we have something to do outside." I explained. "Would you be able to help us, perhaps?"

"I apologise, Monsiour, but I already agreed to help Madame Eponine." She said. That's when I noticed the white cloth in her arms, folded carefully.

"Is that the dress? Can I see it?" Gavroche asked.

"No, Monsiour. This is only her veil." The maid said. "Is really must be going. I'm sorry I can't help you."

"Thank you anyway." I sighed. We continued to walk outside, only to be stopped again by one of the butlers.

"Monsiour, you asked for my assistance." He said.

"Erm, yes. Can you please locate he three boxes of candles that were ordered and bring them outside?"

"Of course, Monsiour. Where exactly shall I bring them?"

"To the alter, if you don't mind."

He looked surprised at my request, but turned around and began to search for the three boxes, while the four of us went outside.

The gardens did look very nice, I had to admit. There was vases of white flowers absolutely everywhere. About two hundred wooden chairs had been placed in the large rose garden and a red carpet had been spread down along the aisle. The alter was just one of the tables from the house with a white table cloth covering it. There were a couple of maids fluttering around, rearranging chairs and vases, but they paid us no mind.

The four of us walked up to the alter and placed the register of names upon it, leaning he frame again one of the vases of white roses. When the butler arrived again with the candles, we set them out around the frame, carefully counting out the correct number. The idea was that we would light one candle for every member of Les Amis who had lost their lives.

"Will that be all, Monsiour?" The butler asked.

"Yes, thank you. But, I will need one of you to cone out before the ceremony starts to light all of the candles."

"Of course,Monsiour." He replied, before walking away again. Joly and Gavroche led the way back inside, while I spoke with Marius, who was to be my best man.

"Well, Apollo, in two hours, you will be a married man." He chuckled.

"I didn't see it coming, I have to admit." I replied.

"No offenc, but none of us did." He said, making me laugh.

"I always thought that I would die at the barricade, or have to marry Elowen. But I'm glad neither of those things happened."

"You really love her, don't you?"

"I really do."

"Well, you'd better be true to her, because if you break Eponines heart, I will personally murder you." He warned. "Eponine has been my best friend for years. She's practically my sister."

"Don't worry, Marius. I would never dream of hurting her in any way." I assured him. "Also, you say she's like you sister?"

"Of course I do. I've known her for so long."

"Did you know that she used to love you?" I said quietly. He stopped walking and turned to me.

"Did she?"

"Yes. She was obsessed with you. When I picked her up in that alley, the first thing she said was your name. Every time anyone mentioned you, her eyes lit up." I said. "She doesn't see you like that anymore, though."

"I had no idea." He whispered.

"Don't worry about it. She doesn't love you like that anymore. Now you're just friends."

"I should probably say something to her."

"No, don't. I probably shouldn't have told you." I said.

"I'm glad you did." He replied.

"Marius, I promise, you don't have to say anything to her. She nodded longer loves you, in that sense. She is happy now, as are you." I said. We said nothing more on the matter and went inside.

The rest of the morning was spent overseeing everything for the wedding. Pére came and helped us, as did Eponines grandfather when he arrived.

"Enjolras, what is that?" Pére asked, pointing at the rosette Joly, Marius and I wore.

"It doesn't matter." I shrugged.

"Tell me, please. I want to know."

"I-"

"Monsiour, you have been requested to leave the house immediately and go to the alter." One of the butlers said.

"What? Now?" I gasped.

"Yes, Monsiour. All of the guests are already there and Madame Eponine will be coming downstairs shortly." He explained.

"Come along, boy. We can't have you seeing your bride already." Pére said. We all rushed outside again, with the exception of Gavroche and his grandfather.

The seats were all full and the priest was standing behind her alter. Marius and I walked to the top of the aisle and waited there patiently, while Pére took his seat.

"Nervous, Apollo?" Marius whispered.

"I don't know." I replied,even though my heart was thumping in my chest. Suddenly, the music started and everyone stood up. I looked over the sea of guests in all their finery, hoping to catch a glimpse of my love. I could see mére and Elowen already holding lace handkerchiefs.

The fist thing I saw was Gavroche walking down the aisle, carrying the rings. Next I saw Cosette and Musichetta, the latter holding her daughter. And then there she was.