PROLOGUE

The lyrics to the slow song ended, which caused our slow dance to come to a halt. Warmth filled in my chest as I looked up at Zayn, wondering how we made it. 

"I'm just going to run to the washroom quickly." I excused myself once Zayn nodded. 

As I touched up my makeup and put on a little more perfume, I dissapeared into my thoughts.

I couldn't believe it was Zayn, Zayn.

I couldn't believe he was my missing salvation all the while. Every girl deserved a Zayn in their life. I loved him so much, and as cheesy as it sounded I was thrilled with myself for actually getting the chance to say I had fallen in love in high school  like all those cliche books I had gotten lost in. 

Who would've figured that this would be my faith.  

When I was done, I walked out of the washroom, clutch in hand,  striding confidently trying to match my walk to my emotions.  I saw that everyone else was at our table which was placed a little bit further from everyone else, in the shadows far back of the prom hall.

I  smiled at the girls, and indulged in a conversation, strangely about silk.  However, in the corner of my eye I noticed Harry gave Zayn a look. Zayn nodded hesitantly and stood up, drawing the attention from everyone. Just then, the tension around the table became so thick not even a saw would be able to cut through. Uncomfortable looks and shifts were passed around as Zayn walked up to the DJ table, and finally walked onto the stage. 

Immediately, I knew something was off. He wore a confident smirk but it didn't reach his eyes, and he couldn't look at our table, just everywhere else.

The whole gym looked at Zayn as he tapped the mic, which made the music stop abruptly. I never imagined him to be the speech type though.

"Hello Chester High and welcome to prom night, I'm not M'c ing this or anything, and I'm not making a speech either, I just want to say a few words. As you all know, at the start of the year I met girl who is now my girlfriend,  Frankie. - " Everyone looked at me and back at Zayn. I gave him a confused look, and he continued.

"Yes, its true. Frankly I had never been one to commit to anyone, many of you would know. Frankie, I'd just like to say, that it was good why it lasted you know why?" He asked, his wild grin growing bigger.

While it lasted?

"Because it was never real." He said softly, which had my heart pounding in my ears. 

What?

"Literally been waiting for this since day one.  I was going to tell you what you wanted to hear, make you, then break you."

I could feel all the attention from my year as they looked at me, but all I could concentrate on was Zayn. Zayn. Zayn.

"M'sorry to disappoint but you in case you were hoping I was loyal, hate to break it to you sweetheart but it was never real." He rambled on. I felt the sting in my eyes and the lump in my throat, which made me struggle for air.

What's going on?

I looked around our table, seeing mixed expressions.

But Perrie . . . Perrie looked incredulously content. 

"Money. That's why I did it,  a bet.  And may I say, for a prude you give some pretty mind blowing head." He concluded with a slight laugh, which sent a wave of gasps, and a little laughs all around the room. 

Embarrassment couldn't describe the feeling in my chest.

"Look left sweet heart." Idiotically, I shifted my gaze to the left to have a whole bucket off punch thrown at me.

Now the laughs all around the gym outweighed the gasps. 

So I ran.