Conflict

Glenn looked around at all of us, running a hand through his hair.

I crossed my arms and stared at the ground.

"Okay," he said. "So what happened?"

"It's classified," Eugene said from behind me.

"He'd been talking to mukkety-mucks up in Washington on his satellite phone," my dad explained. "The past couple weeks, nobody's been picking up on the other end. We saw how you handled those corpses back there. We could use your help."

Glenn stood there for a moment before muttering, "Sorry," and walking off.

Rosita and I shot "Can you believe this guy?" looks at my dad and the three of us followed Glenn and Tara.

"I had to get us off that road," I heard Tara say to Glenn. "You were passed out, we were out of bullets. But I know how to get back to that bus. I wrote down every turn. I will get you back. I can, okay?"

"It's where she'd go to find me," he murmured. By "she", I assumed he meant his wife. "That's where I'm gonna go."

"It's a waste of time," my dad interjected. I couldn't help but shoot him an angry look. "Tara told us what went down. And there is zero chance you will ever find your wife again. Alive or dead. Because, sorry to tell you, she's gone."

So I loved my dad, but sometimes he made me so mad with how pessimistic he was.

Glenn slowed to a stop. My dad stopped behind him.

"No need for you to die, too," he continued. "Now come on. Get back in the truck. Do something with your life."

Glenn waited for a moment before letting his bag slide off his shoulder and fall to the ground. He turned to face my dad.

I gave a slight sigh of relief, believing that he was finally giving in.

So I was shocked when he punched my dad in the face, sending him to the ground.

"Hey!" I yelled. I ran forward and slapped Glenn hard. "You don't touch him!"

Rosita rushed forward and grabbed my hand, forcefully guiding me back to my spot.

As my dad looked up in shock, Glenn put his backpack back on.

"She's alive," he said, turning and starting to walk away. "And I'm gonna find her."

My dad shot to his feet and started running towards him.

"Son of a bitch!" he yelled and tackled Glenn from behind, forcing both of them to the ground.

Tara, Rosita, and I started yelling at him to get off.

"Hey," Eugene suddenly called from behind us. "Hey!"

I turned to see him and my mom getting guns from the back of the truck. Walkers started to flood the streets.

I quickly faced my dad again, yelling louder for him to get off.

Finally, he looked back to see what was going on. When he saw the walker herd, he swore loudly and got off Glenn, running to go help Eugene and my mom.

Rosita, Glenn, Tara, and I ran after him.

Rosita and I got our pistols out of our holsters and started shooting, concentrated looks on our faces.