The Lost and the Plunderers

The three of us stood at Carl's grave as the sun slowly rose behind us, casting an orange light on the dead, barren ground that was Alexandria.

Rick kneeled in front of the grave and put Carl's gun on the mound of dirt before just staring off into space.

I slowly walked over to him and put my hand on his shoulder.

"Rick," I whispered. He looked at me and and nodded before taking then gun again.

Michonne walked over to us before both of them ambled away, leaving me standing there.

I crossed my arms as a cold breeze washed over my skin and looked out at Alexandria, wondering if it was possible to feel this numb.

Carl was gone. My parents were gone. Glenn was gone. My home was destroyed.

I had nothing.

I slowly walked over and found Rick and Michonne.

"Hey, guys," I said hoarsely. They turned to me. "I think I'm gonna go try and catch up with the group."

They both raised their eyebrows.

"Okay," Michonne replied, her voice as tired and sad as I felt. "I'll go with you."

I immediately shook my head. "No, I'm...I'm okay. It'll be nice to be alone for a bit anyway. I'll be careful."

"You sure?" Rick asked worriedly.

I forced a fake, pained smile and nodded. "I'll see you guys at Hilltop."

They nodded and I could tell they wanted to protest, but I turned and walked away before they could say anything.

•••

I walked through the woods, trying to remember where the Daryl said he was taking the group until tomorrow morning, feeling very sad that being outside wasn't comforting in the slightest anymore. I kept my hand on my gun, though it was shaking.

Suddenly I turned when I heard the sound of growling.

A couple yards away from me was a large herd of walkers. They were busy feeding on a deer.

The sight of them gave me a rush of anger as I felt my voice of reason be muted. They were the reason Carl was dead. They were the reason my life could never be normal or happy again.

I quickly raised my gun to the sky and fired.

The sound made the walkers turn to me.

After a moment, they started ambling towards me, looking hungry as ever.

Not knowing or caring if I would die, I took out my life and walked to meet them.

I wanted blood. I needed blood.