Honor

I felt like I couldn't breathe. How did this even happen? There was no way he had gotten bit during the fight.

With sudden realization, I looked at the stranger and knew. Carl had gone out before I woke up, got him, and got bit on the way back.

I started to hyperventilate slightly.

"Bree," a tired voice spoke up. I looked over to see Carl staring at me with sad and apologetic eyes.

Forcing my feet to move, I slowly walked over and kneeled in front of him, in between Rick and Michonne. Their facial expressions perfectly conveyed how I felt.

"Carl..." I breathed, the word barely audible. In my state of shock, I had no idea what to say.

He winced as he sat up and took my hand. "I was getting worried about you."

I couldn't even respond. I could only produce little incoherent sounds. There was no way this was happening.

He understood what I was feeling and his gaze softened.

"It's okay, Bree," he whispered. "It's gonna be alright."

"No," I finally whispered, still feeling disoriented. "It's not."

•••

As Carl started to get worse, Rick, Michonne, and I carefully moved him to the cot, making sure to keep him as comfortable as possible. My heart hadn't stopped palpitating since I entered the sewer.

I moved his hair away from his face. It was drenched in sweat. His forehead was hot.

There was no way I was about to lose him.

"Is that better?" Michonne asked softly.

Carl took shallow breaths. "Yeah," he breathed. "Thanks."

My heart was breaking. He looked awful.

"I, um, I got these," the stranger said, causing us to look over at him. I felt a rush of anger when I saw him. Carl wouldn't be bit of it weren't for him.

He showed us a bottle of pills. "They're over-the-counter, non-steroidal anti-inflammatories. They'll...they'll help a little with the fever. They did for my mom and dad." His voice broke a little. "Please take them. Carl...he should have them."

I nodded softly and carefully took them.

"Thank you," I whispered, not being able to muster anything louder.

"You're a doctor?" Rick mumbled.

"I was a resident before," he answered. "Yeah."

"Your name's Siddiq?"

He nodded.

I took Carl's hand. "Did you know he was a doctor?" I asked softly. "Is that why you brought him back?"

"He wasn't gonna make it alone," Carl responded. "He needed is. That's why." His thumb traced circles on the back of my hand.

"He was the one at the gas station," Rick stated, clearly guilty.

Suddenly, there was an explosion big enough where the ceiling crumbled a little, making dust pour down.

Carl started coughing violently and Rick hurriedly covered him.

I immediately went into my backpack and got out a full water bottle.

I brought it to his lips and he slowly started drinking. I smoothed his hair, wondering how in God's name this has happened.

Michonne went over to talk to Dwight and once Carl was breathing again, I looked at Rick, hoping for a second alone with him.

He nodded and touched my arm before getting up and following Michonne.