Them

I sat with my dad as I waited for Daryl, Maggie, and my mom to come back from scavenging.

A tear rolled down my face and I quickly wiped it away. I sniffled, fighting the urge to break down.

I turned to the trio as we got back. My mom shook her head and I nodded slightly, expecting them to find nothing. I stared back at the ground.

I felt absolutely numb.

•••

A few days later, I looked up from my book as the car rolled to a stop.

"We're out," my dad announced quietly. "Just like the other one."

"So we walk," Rick solved.

We all got out. I put my hand over my eyes to shield myself from the sun.

As we started walking, I found myself secluding from everyone. I walked by myself, staring at the road ahead. My stomach churned, wanting, needing food. I grimaced before ignoring it.

Soon, Daryl and Carol went to find some food. I saw Carl and Maggie ahead of me. Carl gave Maggie a music box which, despite the circumstances, made the corners of my lips turn upward slightly in a smile.

I quickly became somber again as he walked up to me.

"You okay?" he asked softly. 

I sighed, continuing to look ahead. "Do I look like I'm okay?" I asked dully.

He waited a moment. "I'm sorry about Tyreese."

"Stop," I said quietly but forcefully. "Just leave me alone."

He sighed sadly and nodded. "Okay." He touched my arm sympathetically and quickened his pace so he was walking with his dad.

•••

Soon enough, we had to face the walkers that were trailing behind us. My parents tried to get me to go over with the others where it's safe.

"Bree, please go over with them," my mom begged.

"Could you?" I asked, challenge in my voice. Her and I exchanged a glance and I knew we were feeling the same way. We both wanted to get our anger over uncle Tyreese out.

At her silence, I nodded. "That's what I thought."

I pulled out my knife and got ready. As soon as a walker came close, I grabbed its shoulder, plunging my knife into its head. Killing walkers had become like therapy to me. I felt my frustration and anger releasing with every stab.

Soon, all of them were down. My hands were covered in blood and I rubbed them together, sticking my knife back in its holder.

I still felt really sad, but the anger was pretty much gone.

•••

About an hour later, we were back on the road. I walked next to my parents. I was out of breath but I kept walking.

"Dad," I heard Carl say. "Look."

I looked to where Carl was pointing to see a group of cars.

"I'm gonna head into the woods," Daryl announced. "Circle back."

"May I come with?" Carol asked.

"No," Daryl denied. "Just me."

Daryl left and we walked to the cars.

A few minutes later, I saw Maggie getting ready to shoot the lock off the trunk of a car and I jogged up to her, putting my hand on her gun.

"Maggie," I said gently.

"There's-there's one in there," she said, her voice unstable. "I shut it and it's still in there."

I nodded and sighed. "Okay." I grabbed the key that was stuck in the lock of the truck. I finally managed to get it to turn and I opened the trunk door.

There was a walker with a rope tying her hands together as well as her feet. A gag was around her mouth.

I grabbed my knife and gently put it through the walker's head.

I turned back and looked at Maggie. She looked like she was barely keeping it together.

Sighing, I pulled her into a hug. She hugged me back after a moment. We stayed like that for a bit before pulling away.

"Let's go," I whispered. She nodded and together, we joined the rest of the group.

•••

The group had stopped to rest for a bit.

I was sitting with my mom, Tara, Rosita, and Eugene as Daryl came back and while my dad downed his second bottle of alcohol.

"So all we found was booze?" Tara asked, watching him.

"Yep," I answered, my voice sounding tired.

"It's not gonna help," she said quietly.

"He knows that."

"It's gonna make it worse."

"Yes. It is."

"He's a grown man," Eugene interjected. "And I truly don't know if things can get worse."

"Shut up, Eugene," I mumbled.

"Okay."

"Things can get worse," Rosita stepped in.

I sighed and decided I didn't want to be apart of this depressing conversation anymore.

I looked over and saw Carl sitting by himself with Judith. I remembered our last conversation and immediately felt bad.

Getting up, I walked over to him.

"Can I sit with you?" I asked.

He looked up at me and a tiny smile formed on his face. "Yeah, sure."

I sat down and ran a hand over Judith's hair.

We all turned when we heard growling coming from the woods.

About 5 dogs came through the tree line. They barked at us, seeming really angry.

I grabbed Carl's arm, gripping it tightly.

Rick was starting to get up when a couple of silenced gun shots sounded and the dogs fell to the ground dead.

I gasped softly and turned to see that it was my mom who had fired the shots. I stared at her in shock.

Rick got a stick and soon we were roasting dog
meat over a fire.

I looked at the meat, feeling really guilty. I remembered my dog, Charlie. I took some in my hand.

"Sorry, pupper," I mumbled sadly before hesitantly taking a bite.

I saw Carl suppressing a smile out of the corner of my eye. As I looked over, he started to chuckle softly.

"What?" I asked defensively.

That caused him to laugh harder. "Nothing."

He soon calmed down and I turned to my mom as she sat next to me. I could tell she was angry. Really angry. I used to be but not really anymore.

"Mom," I said gently. "I love you, but you can't be mad forever."

"I'm not mad," she replied, her voice hard. She stared into the distance.

I sighed and just laid my head on her shoulder. I could feel how tense she was and she stayed like that for a bit before slowly relaxing and putting her hand on my knee.

"I'm glad I got you, honey," she said softly, her voice a little softer.

I smiled weakly. "You'll always have me."