Rock in the Road Part 3

A tiger.

King Ezekiel had a tiger.

"Jesus!" he called. "It pleases me to see you, old friend!"

"It pleases him, indeed!" the man standing at his side agreed.

"Jerry," Ezekiel shushed.

I could've stood there for the rest of the day with my jaw on the floor if Ezekiel hadn't started talking again.

"What news do you bring good King Ezekiel?" he asked Jesus. "Are these new allies you've brought me?"

"Indeed, they are, your Majesty," Jesus confirmed. He turned to look at us. "This is-" He cut himself off when he saw our faces.

"You never told us he has a freaking tiger," I whispered in fear before flashing Ezekiel a smile so he wouldn't be suspicious.

"Oh, right," he agreed. "I forgot to mention that." He walked over. "That's Shiva. Be nice."

He walked towards Ezekiel and we slowly followed him.

"This is Rick Grimes," he introduced. "Leader of Alexandria, and these are some of his people."

Carl scooched into one of the rows of seats and I followed him. If Shiva attacked, it would only be polite for him to offer to be eaten first.

"I welcome you all to the Kingdom, good travelers," Ezekiel said. "Now, what brings you to our fair land? Why do you seek an audience with the King?"

Carl and I exchanged confused looks. Was this guy serious with his wannabe Shakespeare talk?

"Ezekiel," Rick addressed. "King...Ezekiel. Alexandria, Hilltop, and the Kingdom. All three of our communities have something in common: we all serve the Saviors. Alexandria already fought them once and we won. We thought we took out the threat, but we didn't know then what we know now. We only beat one outpost. We've been told you have a deal with them, that you know them. Then you know they rule through violence and fear."

Ezekiel gave Jesus a reprimanding look.

"Your Majesty," Jesus hurriedly said. "I only told them because-"

"Our deal with the Saviors is not known among my people," Ezekiel cut off. "For good cause. We made you a party to that secret when you told us of the Hilltop's own travails, but we did. not expect you to share-"

"We can help each other!" Jesus interrupted.

"Don't interrupt the King!" Jerry scolded.

"We brought you into our confidence," Ezekiel continued. "Why did you break it?"

"Because I want you to hear Rick's plans," Jesus explained.

Ezekiel looked at Rick. "And what plans have you, Rick Grimes of Alexandria?"

"We came to ask the Kingdom," Rick answered. "To ask you, to join us in fighting the Saviors. Fighting for freedom for all of us."

"What you are asking is very serious."

"Several of our people," Michonne said, stepping forward. "Good people, were killed by the Saviors. Brutally."

Morgan perked up. "Who?"

"Abraham," I told him, anger in my voice. "Glenn. Spencer. Olivia. Eugene was taken. They took Daryl. He escaped. Every second he's out here, he's a target." I leaned on the seat in front of me. "You gonna say you were right?"

"No," Morgan denied. "I'm just real sorry they're gone."

I took a deep breath as Carl put a hand on my shoulder and Rick continued to explain what happened to Morgan.

"Negan murdered Glenn and Abraham. Beat them to death."

"Terrorized the Hilltop," my mom added. "Set loose walkers just to make a point."

"I used to think the deal was something we could live with," Jesus told Ezekiel. "A lot of us did. But that's changing. So let's change the world, your Majesty."

"I want to be honest about what we're asking," Rick warned. "My people are strong, but there's not enough of us. We don't have guns. Not enough, at least. Not enough weapons, period."

"We have people," Richard spoke up. "And weapons." He turned to Ezekiel. "If we strike first, together, we can beat them. Your Majesty, no more waiting for things to get worse beyond what we can handle. We set things right. The time is now."

Ezekiel considered it. "Morgan, what say you?"

I looked at him, really hoping he wouldn't mess this up.

He looked up. "Me?"

Ezekiel nodded. "Speak."

Morgan waited a moment. "People will die. A lot of people, and not just the Saviors. If we can find another way, we have to."

I closed my eyes and rubbed the bridge of my nose, taking deep breaths and forcing myself not to punch him or start crying.

"Maybe it's just about Negan," he continued. "Capturing him, holding him."

Ezekiel stood up. "The hour is late. Rick Grimes of Alexandria, you have given the King much to ponder."

Probably desperate, Rick started telling a story his mom told him when he was a kid about how if you decide to make a change for the better, there will always be a reward. (AN: I was too lazy to type out the whole thing lol)

As the story finished, Ezekiel nodded. "I invite you all to sup with us and stay until the morrow."

"We need to get back home," Rick objected.

He ignored him. "I shall deliver my decree in the morn."

Not being able to take it anymore, I gave him an angry look before walking out, blinking back tears.

•••

I leaned on the railing of one of the gazebos in the community, clutching my dad's necklace, watching as kids practiced archery. The breeze was blowing slightly and it was sunny, making the scene seem serene, an adjective that completely contrasted how I was feeling.

I heard footsteps behind me.

"Bree," Carl's voice said softly. "Your mom and my dad wanted to come after you, but I told them to let me."

I nodded slightly, not willing to respond and not looking at him.

He sighed and walked closer. "Look, we'll get more people, okay? We can do this. We-"

"I didn't get to say goodbye to him," I interrupted. "I didn't get to say goodbye to either of them."

He was silent.

I wiped away a tear. "And I thought that if I killed Negan, if I avenged them, it would make it hurt less." I slowly started crying as I faced him. "But it doesn't. It still hurts. It hurts so bad, Carl. It hurts so bad."

He immediately pulled me into a hug and kissed my temple as my crying turned into sobbing.

"It hurts so bad," I repeated as my body shook with sobs.

"I know," he mumbled, rubbing my back. "I know."

As I let everything go in Carl's arms, I knew that even if it wouldn't make me feel better about my dad and Glenn, I was still gonna kill Negan.

I was gonna rip him apart with my bare hands.