Last Day on Earth

A few hours went by without much news. Glenn, Rosita, Michonne, and Daryl still hadn't come back while Rick had come back saying that Morgan was gonna continue to look for Carol.

I stood at my post, hating my feeling of helplessness. I just prayed to God that they were okay.

I turned as I heard someone call my name. It was Enid. She was running up to me.

"Bree!" she called. "Something's wrong with Maggie!"

A million fears shot through my head and I got down from the post.

"What happened?" I asked, willing my voice not to shake.

"I was cutting her hair, and she got these really bad pains all of a sudden." She didn't bother to hide the nervousness in her voice. "Rick's loading her up in the RV. They're gonna take her to Hilltop."

I nodded, taking a deep breath. "Does Carl know?"

She shook her head. "I don't think so."

"Okay, go tell him."

She nodded and ran off.

"Okay, Bree," I whispered to myself. "Don't freak out."

I ran to the RV to see Rick talking to Eugene.

As Eugene got in, I turned to Rick.

"What can I do?" I asked.

He sighed. "You can get in. We've pretty much got everything packed."

I took a deep breath. "Okay."

I got on the RV and immediately went back to see Maggie.

She was lying on a makeshift bed and she really didn't look good.

I kneeled down next to her and held her hand.

"How are you feeling?" I asked gently.

She managed a smile. "I'll be fine."

I nodded. "We'll get you to Hilltop."

I went back out and sat on the couch. I watched as Carl got on the RV alone.

Furrowing my eyebrows, I asked, "Where's Enid? I thought she was coming."

He pulled at his flannel, something he always did when he was nervous or embarrassed.

"She, uh," he stammered. "She changed her mind."

I didn't believe him at all but I decided not to push. "Okaaaay."

He walked in to see Maggie as we started driving. When he came back, he sat next to me.

I looked out the window for a moment before sighing. I looked at him. "I'm sorry about earlier. I was just really stressed."

He nodded. "I get it." He was silent for a moment. "I know you think I'm never nervous, but it's not true. I'm worried about Maggie. I'm worried every single time my dad goes out....I was really worried when you didn't come back from that run."

I looked into his eyes and a little smile came on my face. I lowered my head onto his shoulder. He put his hand on my leg and I looped my arms around his.

"And," he continued. "Enid didn't decide not to come. I, uh...I locked her in the closet."

I raised my head to look at him in shock. "You did what??" At his guilty look, I chuckled. "Oh, my god, Carl."

I went to hold my necklace from my dad when I realized I wasn't wearing it.

My heart started racing a little. I could just get it when I get home, but I felt unsafe when I wasn't wearing it.

As if on cue, the RV came to a halting stop.

"What is it?" Rick asked, walking to my dad.

"Enemy close," my dad responded.

Carl and I exchanged a glance before going over to see what was happening.

There were 8 men, who I could only assume were Saviors, blocking the road. A man was laying on the ground in front of them.

"We doing this?" my dad asked.

"No," Rick responded.

He went to get off the RV but I grabbed his arm.

"Rick," I objected. "They killed Denise. I don't think they're in the mood to talk."

"We're not fighting them yet," he stated. He got off the RV.

I sighed in defeat before following him. Eugene, Aaron, Carl, and my parents followed after me.

Rick put his hands up in surrender as we stopped in front of the RV.

The man at the head of the group knew we were noticing the man on the ground so he explained. "He's someone who was with a a whole lot of someones who didn't listen."

We all waited for Rick to speak.

"We can make a deal," he finally said. "Right here, right now."

"That's right," the man responded. "We can. Give us all your stuff. We'll probably have to kill one of you, that's just the way it is, but then we can start moving forward with business. All you have to do is listen."

"Yeah..." Rick shot back, putting his hands down. "That deal's not gonna work for us. Fact is, I was about to ask for all of your stuff, only I'm thinking I don't have to kill any of you. Any more of you."

There was silence as someone else from the group started shaking a can of...something and sprayed it on the man on the ground.

Rick glanced back at us, as clueless as we were.

Finally, the man spoke again.

"Sorry, my deal's the only deal. We don't negotiate."

Rick waved for us to get back in the RV. "My people are leaving."

The man put his hand up. "Okay, friend. Plenty of ways to get to where you're going."

Everyone got back in, but, feeling a burst of confidence, I turned back to them.

"You wanna make today your last day on Earth?" I called to them.

The man studied me, clearly noticing me for the first time.

"No," he answered. "But that is a good thing to bring up. Think about it. What if it's the last day on Earth for you? For someone you love? What if that's true? Maybe you should be extra nice to those people in that RV, because you never know" he snapped his fingers "just like that. Be kind to each other. Like you said...like it's your last day on Earth."

I nodded, accepting his unspoken challenge. "You do the same."

I was about to get in when he spoke again.

"Who are you, anyways?"

I looked back at him.

"Bree Ford. Remember it."

I got back in the RV without another word.